Hard to believe

Mean Gene

Reaction score
We have friends here for a couple days. The wife has a seriously bad back, and we have adjustable beds, so while they are here my wife and I are staying out in our fifth wheel so it'll be easier for her during their stay. Sitting here in this evening I started looking around, and I got to thinking that we used to be here in Montana for 4-5 months a year in this thing, while the bulk of our stuff was back home in South Dakota, and we never really wanted for much of anything. Me and the dog would go fishing almost every day, and my wife spent a lot of time with the friends she'd made in the area. Circumstances dictated that we move closer to our daughter, so we came to Ennis full time, and have been here for almost 3 years now. It's nice here, and we have a great house, but there aren't many days I don't think about our time in South Dakota. Fishing here in the summer, then back to SD for the start of duck season...definitely a little slice of heaven. Now that I live here I spend all my time working on improving this house, or taking work assignments to pay for improvements, and I hardly do any fishing at all. What a crying arse shame. South Dakota...awesome place, and the duckiest dang state I ever saw.

labrador

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Remember it the way it was. Be thankful you got to experience it during better years. More recently, excessive pressure and loss of CRP have contributed to fewer birds (local populations). Many discount the positive benefits of those big blocks (quarter size and bigger) of CRP for duck nesting success and bird propagation. Between tiling, pressure, and fencerow to fencerow farming this isn't the same state it was. During the migration the amount of pressure for fields increases every year. As many have realized social media and commercialization has been very deleterious to waterfowling. Sadly, there is nothing that indicates there will be any change in the direction of game management in this state.

Mean Gene

Reaction score
Remember it the way it was. Be thankful you got to experience it during better years. More recently, excessive pressure and loss of CRP have contributed to fewer birds (local populations). Many discount the positive benefits of those big blocks (quarter size and bigger) of CRP for duck nesting success and bird propagation. Between tiling, pressure, and fencerow to fencerow farming this isn't the same state it was. During the migration the amount of pressure for fields increases every year. As many have realized social media and commercialization has been very deleterious to waterfowling. Sadly, there is nothing that indicates there will be any change in the direction of game management in this state.
Didn't do a lot of field hunting, mostly water, hardly ever ever saw another person. Everybody wanted to hunt fields, and I can understand why, but a guy willing to look around and hunt water had a pretty good time of it.

Latest posts