North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

Has any else noticed

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by Gangirg, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Gangirg

Gangirg Refuge Member

That big October push has split and gone?
    If the grass situation is not addressed soon we just as well all sell out....blind laws mean nothing in the big scheme of things.

2. hydemarsh

hydemarsh Refuge Member

I believe you are absolutely right. Do not know if it is a natural cycle or massive amounts of herbicides going from the ditches and canals into the lake and sound but there is a fraction of the grass there was a few years ago.

3. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

There is a fraction of the grass that was here a few months ago.

4. Gangirg

Gangirg Refuge Member

Ain't been any grass to speak of in 15 years.

5. hydemarsh

hydemarsh Refuge Member

the amount of time since there was grass depends on where you are hunting. The rash of recent hurricanes dumping a lot of sediment on the grass beds sure hurts them but we have had those since the beginning of time. There are periods when we don't have storms as frequently and the grass beds come back, but something seems different. the OBX development seems like it will hurt Currituck for the foreseeable future. I don't have a clue about Albemarle sound.

where I spend most of my time there seems to be a correlation between the problems that started in the western part of Skeet and the bays that receive the drainage water from it. Substantially less grass and ducks in Wysocking.

6. Gangirg

Gangirg Refuge Member

Gotcha....I know DU had a man stationed here out of the local ag office between 20 and 15 years ago. I know this because I hunted with him. I also know that in the brief time he was here, he changed the board. It went from just as it is now to 80,000 ducks wintering on the sound.
    Now was it DU's doing or hydrilla? I guess we'll never truly know but I do know, sav's were sustained and ducks were thick. Du pulled out and its went to the craper each year since.

7. Gangirg

Gangirg Refuge Member

I also had a "prime" marsh blind on currituck some years back and never put in for a draw. I was told if I rebuilt and maintained the blind, I could hunt it as long as I wanted. Two years later, the same "friend " calls up and says it's up for sell and he's giving me first option lol....I told him to shove it. All that has to be done to sell a blind is to show up the morning of a draw and drop it. No one else knows its available and doesn't put in. Bingo....currituck sound blind sold to new owner.

8. Gangirg

Gangirg Refuge Member

That's how some of your better known guides do so well. Buy up 1500 yards of marsh and feed on either side.

9. hydemarsh

hydemarsh Refuge Member

do they buy the marsh land or do they get a group of consecutive blinds in the sound ?

10. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

One person can only have two registered blinds in Currituck unless they own the land it's on. If they own the land, they can have more but they can't be within 500 yards of an existing blind.