North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

Has any else noticed

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by Gangirg, Dec 4, 2019.

1. The Mad Duck

The Mad Duck Elite Refuge Member

Gangrig, I think the problem in your area is twofold.
    First, 10 years ago, the powers that be decided that the hydrilla had to go. Fishermen,sailboaters and northern transplants didnt like the hydrilla,so they started spraying the creeks and killing all the hydrilla. No Hydrilla in the creeks=no hydrilla in the sound.The hydrilla started dying and the ducks found somewhere else to be. I also think that AG chemical runoff played a part in the grass die off.
    Second,Right before the ducks started thinning out,When there were still snotpiles of birds where we used to hunt,folks from farther east invaded and shot the birds out of the area. I remember days when we never even saw another boat hunting.
    Between the dying grass and the extreme pressure, the ducks went somewhere else.

JFG likes this.
  2. deac

deac Elite Refuge Member

Has anybody figured out what the brown slime that coats the sav is? For 20yrs we've had nice stands of grass right up until about Sept, then the brown slime wipes it out. Some sort of algae I assume.

3. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Yes, it’s an algae deac from what I’m told. Over nutrient condition.

4. Corn Rows

Corn Rows Elite Refuge Member

I doubt the same issue as the coast, but does anyone have any insight on Duke Energy purposely killing grass in Piedmont lakes? Carolina Power and Progress Energy let the grass go, since Duke Energy took over they have been eradicating grass.
    I'm no biologist, but I thought the grass was good for the ecosystem and water quality?

5. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Dam, a blast from the past ...

It is good, however hydrilla is invasive and my guess is they simple don’t want to have to deal with it on their lakes. It can take over a waterway quickly and become an expensive proposition to manage. Sharon Harris as you know did it to keep it from contamination the water it uses for its cooling towers.

Yep, it’s a double edged sword.

6. Gangirg

Gangirg Senior Refuge Member

Sounds like one in the same as the coast, kill the hydrilla and every other vegetation with it

7. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

That’s about right, chemicals they use to kill it probably don’t discriminate much.

8. ReelHunter

ReelHunter Refuge Member

that's why you they get their family to register it in their names

9. KAHunter

KAHunter Elite Refuge Member

The grass issue is a tough one. Alot of it is natural changes in cycles along with the acidification of the sound water and rising sea levels. You need the right situations to get a nice full stand of grass. More years than not, you get the right situations in most areas. This year, such as our cove in currituck, is devoid of grass and its gonna hurt our duck hunting. Last few years its been thick. This is 100% due to storms and high water through the year, therefore 100% natural. I also hunt some potholes in hyde that 10 years ago were slam full of widgeon grass and held ducks accordingly. Since then it has been devoid of grass, mostly bc of higher water and wet summers. We have done a great job of killing off the grass through pollution or spraying. I have never understood how you can spray aquatic grasses with impunity but if you look at a marsh grass wrong they fine you. Maybe we as duck hunters need to work to push some legislation to protect aquatic grasses more?? It needs to happen.

10. singlewing

singlewing New Member