North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

Has any else noticed

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by Gangirg, Dec 4, 2019.

1. singlewing

singlewing New Member

KAHunter is right.. we duck hunters are going to have to do our part to help. There’s a new foundation called The Foundation For Public Trust Resources and Rights that has started that is dedicated to helping restore habitat & grasses to Mattamuskeet and the Sounds of NC through various projects. The link to it is ncpublictrust.org . All of us as hunters and fishermen need to take a look at this and do our part to help..it’s a good place to start !

2. hydemarsh

hydemarsh Senior Refuge Member

KA, How do you know the sound water is getting more acidic? (not a criticism I am sincerely interested). How high has the sea level risen and what is the source?

Most aquatic grasses need water depth of 40 inches or less. if it is turbid water (lots of sediment) grasses require more shallow water.

3. KAHunter

KAHunter Elite Refuge Member

Water acidity has increased over the years. If you get consistent sound water inundation into potholes or interior ponds you loose grass, mostly bc of ph among other things. There are plenty of studies on the water level rising ( as well as change in ph), but I have noticed consistently higher water in areas I hunt and where I live (lafayette river off ches. bay).

I am by no way an expert. This is just my opinion. I just have seen changes over the years as well as work in a similar field and handle these and very similar plants all of the time.

4. Gangirg

Gangirg Senior Refuge Member

I took a look but all I really saw was a web page asking for money. I understand that it takes money to get things done but what exactly is being done? Partitions? Lawyer fees? And if so for what? Be nice to see where the money is going and being used exactly. I'm sure more would get on board being the case

5. hydemarsh

hi Gangrig, I took a look as well. this was on the first page:
    "Here at The Foundation for Public Trust Rights and Resources, we know that sometimes all it takes to change an undesirable situation is a community with a common interest. Since our founding we have been determined to change what has happened to the wonderful sounds, bays, and rivers of North Carolina's coast. Our Passion is to make public trust waters a place where the State's richest and poorest person has equal and unbridled access to fully exercise the rights granted under the NC Public Trust doctrine. We also want to reinvigorate and restore the vast beds of sub aquatic vegetation that supports an array of fish and waterfowl. Through all of our endeavors we hope to display the conviction behind our beliefs."

Seems like a summary that tells what they are about. In addition I looked at the "blogs" and "initiatives". seem to provide a lot of info on what they are doing. I also saw they have a place on facebook where they have talked about already having hired an attorney and investigated the "blind" laws as well as what they are going to do this spring when it is time to start planting sub aquatic vegetation.

6. hydemarsh

By the way, I saw a post on facebook when these guys started that it was hard to find how to donate. So they added it to the first couple of pages.

7. singlewing

singlewing New Member

I went back and looked at the page. As you scroll down it talks about habitat restoration and planned initiatives. If you click on the topic below each picture it gives a short description of what is planned to do. It says their goal is to help improve the water quality and habitat of the lake and the sounds by restoring the SAV that the fish and waterfowl depend on... like I said in my previous post, it seems like a good place to start. At least someone is taking initiative to try to help instead of just talking about it and nothing getting done! Everything in life has to have a beginning and it does take money to get things accomplished so I decided to support this and we’ll see what happens. I figured what’s wrong with a small donation? I’m sure all of us has pissed away money on way worse things. I figured it’s our responsibility as sportsman to give back to the sport we love that’s given so much to us.

8. coachcornbread

coachcornbread Elite Refuge Member

Hydemarsh why are you speaking about it in the 3rd person? Isn’t it your brainchild?

9. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

"Singlewing" has three post, all of them pimping Hydemarsh's org. Now Hyde is talking in third person.

If steelshot scott starts that third person sh!t we're in for some entertainment.

10. hydemarsh

I was simply trying to answer Gangrig's question without being argumentative. If this offended anyone I apologize. Yes it is my brainchild.

The way I see it so far is there are 3 groups of people affected by this blind law issue (1) those who benefit from laws that steal from the NC's citizens (not that these are bad people, they are just playing by the rules as they are written), (2) people that do not think it right (this group has a long uphill struggle to do anything about it) and (3) a group that complains but does not care enough to do anything about it (certainly their right).

I am in group (2). Putting my money where my opinions are.
    I get really tired of people saying that when they look at the web page all they see is that it is someone asking for money.
    If you only knew how much time, work, and money I have put into this. Simply because I believe you should stand up to entitled bullies. If you don't that is your choice.