North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

Has any else noticed

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by Gangirg, Dec 4, 2019.

1. hydemarsh

hydemarsh Senior Refuge Member

2. Gangirg

Gangirg Senior Refuge Member

3. Gangirg

Hyde, I don't think anyone is gripping or criticizing you or your efforts, just saying its gonna be hard to get the common man (like myself) on board without simple hard facts and progress to be seen...
    I cant speak for everyone but I think most are like myself and are not gonna read through a lengthy web page. If it cant be read in a duse time it ain't happening most likely. Also not all of us do Facebook

coachcornbread likes this.
  4. hydemarsh

Good input, I appreciate it.

5. Gangirg

So if I'm understanding these maps right (highly doubtful lol) the only area left with any traceable SAV is the far outer banks? Where theres no ag at all and one of the densest populations on average in the state?

6. hydemarsh

If you look closely on the western shores there are notes saying "no survey". which I guess means they have not looked and do not know. These are 2012 maps and a lot has changed.

7. cbrtrvr

cbrtrvr Senior Refuge Member

You talk about the grass coming and going. I've seen first hand how it is disappeared thru the years. I remember a time when the currituck sounds was full of grass looked like someone's lawn. Over the years the celery grass has disappeared. In recent years the grass has started back. But with storms and water rise it doesn't last long. In fact this summer there was grass in many areas where in the past there was none. The tides rise the grass loses sunlight then wind shifts water goes out sun burns the grass. Marsh land in our area is being lost and water is rising. Not sure how to combat this situation but would be nice to get natural grass back.

8. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Mother Nature at its best but man made induced chemicals hasn’t helped the situation.

cbrtrvr likes this.
  9. cbrtrvr

That is the truth. Va Beach has a neighborhood that pumps run off straight into a canal that leads to back bay. Gotta have that pretty yard who cares about the environment. Currituck doesn't hold ducks anymore like the past. Now we have become a stop over on the occasion.

10. cbrtrvr

FB_IMG_1576812402781.jpg this was taken in 4 ft of water over the summer