Hearing protection?

Discussion in 'Oregon Flyway Forum' started by sprigkiller09, Nov 29, 2005.

1. sprigkiller09

sprigkiller09 Elite Refuge Member

At my nice young age I still can hear pretty well but i gotta find a good way of protecting my ears cause i am finding my self saying "huh" way too much. What do some of you guys use or have heard works well? I dont want to wear just ear plugs because sometimes you hear the ducks before you see em. I have been looking at EAR Inc's products any of you guys use them? any help would be good.

Thanks Guys :tu

2. Hellbender

Hellbender Elite Refuge Member

Just don't hunt too close to Hard Hitter and his 16 thousand feet per second handloads and you should be alright.

3. Nads

Nads Senior Refuge Member

I've got to do something too. I've got a friend with a ported barrell that I hunt with, and I have a constant ring in my left ear now. Everything I have looked at has been pretty spendy, but I bet it would be worth it if it saves my hearing.

4. Swamp Puppy

Swamp Puppy Elite Refuge Member

huh??

5. CuppedWings

CuppedWings New Member

I use electronic headphones like ProEars. You can get them at sportsman warehouse for $100-$200. Mine are slim and camo. I find I shoot better with them as you are not dreading the blast (3.5" 12 gauge).

I looked into the E.A.R.S. ones but at $2000+, I just couldn't do it. I think you basically have to replace them every 5 years or so.

Scott

6. BryanB

BryanB Senior Refuge Member

For a less expensive comprimise I use "Sonic" ear plugs. The have a baffeling system that closes with compression waves (gun blast). They are only $9 per pair and last a long time. Since using them I have had no ringing in my ears, pain, or any issues at all. I can easily hear wistling wings and conversation. I'm convinced they work very well and are a great comprimise until I save up for some electric ear muffs.
    Bryan

7. CuppedWings

CuppedWings New Member

BryanB,

I tried those and they are good in a pinch, but I find them to be extremely uncomfortable after about 30 minutes. Do you have this problem?

I can wear the soft foamies all day, but then it muffles all sound, including incoming ducks :(

8. GDS-MarshBum

GDS-MarshBum Refuge Member

I've been using some ear plugs that were done by a gal that does hearing aid fitting. She took a mold of my ear, channel and all, sent them off, and I received the plugs back in the mail.

They have a tiny hole that allows low decible sound to come in, but when higher decible sound tries, there is a substance in the channel that actually takes the energy in the sound waves and converts them to heat.

They are vastly more comfortable than the $9 sonic ear plugs, but I find it muffles the sound too much some times. Over all though, I like them, and my ears like them, and my wife likes that I'll be able to hear what she's telling me to do well into the future.

They cost me $100 I think, with the molds for future use if I should ever want more made.

I can send info if any one wants to check this out for their own needs. Just PM me.

9. Mallardslayer

Mallardslayer Elite Refuge Member

Try using tactical hearing protection. We use them at work all the time and you can still talk to one another. I'm referring to the amplified type.

I would highly recommend them.

Try Peltor tactical 6's.

Good luck

10. duckhunter51

duckhunter51 Senior Refuge Member

I have a game ear 2 for sale if anyone is interested.