Decoy Forum Sponsors

Heaviest Mono..

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by GK1, Jul 9, 2021.

1. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

That you can still decently wrap around keels? Texas rigs serve no purpose for my style of hunting. I need clear line and have used GHG, RER, Tanglefree and numerous other PVC style decoy lines. Garbage every one of them. Tired of re rigging dozens of decoys during the season and all my hundreds before the season. The J weights aren't cheap to replace anymore either. Want it thick enough to at least resist tangling and yet stay tightly wrapped on keel. Picked up some 100 lb mono and just don't think that will be enough thickness. Opinions?

2. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

It’ll come down to trial/error probably as hardly anyone uses that style anymore. I’d guess you’re gonna run into the fine line of what you want and what you can get. Plus, wrapping mono around keels continually will create weak spots where they hit the keel. You can buy small amounts of the heavier monos on various sites.

3. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I wouldn't use mono for wrapping keels. I used 200# once and after unwrapping, it looked like a slinky. My personal choice is 1/8" "soft" braided nylon (Rig 'Em Right) for wrapping keels. Mono is great for a lot of things but wrapping keels is not one of them.

Tuleman likes this.
  4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Gunnerx2 is correct. I wrap mine, and have gone to a thick braided line.

5. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Guess ya all missed the part where I need CLEAR line. I understand what will work...was looking for what would work in my situation.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Well, maybe we didn't understand why you needed clear line.

I used the 'clear' decoy lines also. If you are willing to change them yearly, they are fine. After that, they tend to break, either at a crimp, or knot.

If you are concerned the birds will see the line, I would submit that is about #43 on the things that can go wrong. Still, if that is what you need, why are you saying 100# isn't strong enough? If you go much thicker, it is going to kink, especially in cold water.

There are many colors of braided line, to match you bottom colors. Doesn't have to be black. For that matter, braided fishing line would be very hard to spot from the air. Tangles, no matter mono or braided, is going to be a problem with thin line.

7. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

The lightest I would go is 200lb. But i'd personaly use 300lb. It will eventually kink from wrapping it on the keel, but you should get more than a couple years use. If you use crimps...use a higher quality crimp...that will be your weak spot.

You won't be able to get it to wrap around the keel cleanly...200 or 300. It's just too stiff, worse as it gets colder.

8. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

I’ve had zero luck wrapping any size mono around the keel. It kinks up.

I’ve used 300, 400, and 500 pound monofilament. 400 is the best all around. 500 gets expensive.

MeatDog717 likes this.
  9. Out of focus

Out of focus Elite Refuge Member

If it must be clear, maybe some medical tubing?

10. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Mono has memory. There is nothing that you can do about that. That is why even Texas rigs that are not hung will eventually become messy.

If you are really worried about birds seeing your decoy line consider getting white crabbing line that sinks and then stain it in such a way that it camos -- only stain sections to avoid more than a two foot section having the same color.