Decoy Forum Sponsors

Heaviest Mono..

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by GK1, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

Waxed #18 to #36 depending on how much you want to get on the keel. Use lighter line for longer runs or for use in heavy current because it pulls less in current.

2. Blackduck

Blackduck Senior Refuge Member

300 or 400 lb. Get the big roll from Ande. 500 yards I believe. The cheapest I have found. Yeah it kinks. So what. Use a heavy weight and if the water is deep enough or the wind is blowing the kinks stretch to fit. If the water is shallow tie it off and see above. Use appropriate crimps and all is well. I hope to never have to re-rig. Going on 5 years with no complaints. Use line that heavy and it is fairly "tanglefree".

I have used nylon line and paracord in the past, as well as the tanglefree and avery clear and black tangleless products. In a few years the nylon "lines" need replacement, and we all know about the tanglefree stuff breaking in cold weather and losing a weight. Heavy mono for me.

GK1 likes this.
  3. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I'll not stop doing this.
    There are two types of black plastic lines.
    Soft and hard. Learned the hard way.
    When at the store unwind a bit off a spool then squeeze it with fingernails. If it deforms easily buy it. If it's slick, hard, and wont deform easily even when bitten...thats no good put it back.
    Test the line. If you buy the right stuff it doesn't break..I'm not kidding. Mono is a pita. 16261809563057692885377820511951.jpg
    The good line smells like chemicals.
    There's a green plastic line thats very good.
    Mack's?
    The line in this decoy is two seasons old.
    Hunted 150+ hunts.
    Icy cold too. 16261814206448706874832559484978.jpg
    That hole is an illusion.
    Wow. Was a wet spot. A honey drip.

16261816616005135932376787125902.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  4. Murphy's Law

Murphy's Law Refuge Member

Something that I have been using for years is nylon macrame' cord. It comes in big spools, you can get it in a bunch of different colors so you can match to your water color or bottom, it's lasted over 20 years on some of my Herters. I like that it has a low tensile strength, if you get one wrapped around your prop it just shears the line. My buddy uses plastic line, it retains its memory for too long so when you set it out it has kinks, then we have to go out and reset the spread once the kinks work out. You can find macrame cord at most of the big craft stores (Hobby Lobby, Michaels).

5. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Why does it have to be clear?

6. PorkChop

PorkChop Elite Refuge Member

When I bought my first Texas rigs I bought them from a place in Minnesota or Wisconsin. Maybe that’s where Rig em Right is from not sure.
    anyways it was clear and thick but it wrapped easily
    sorry I know I’m not very helpful but what you’re looking for is out there.

7. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

I’m curious too. Even clear mono turns opaque after a while.

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

If you read his original OP, he has tried it, and doesn't like it.

9. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Can ducks see? Do ducks become conditioned? Most importantly have you ever hunted where I hunt? 40 years of experience has shown me what works for me in MY CONDITIONS. I hunt in some of the highest pressure public land in the country...and I'm successful. Run 10 dozen decoys in 2 inches of water that's aquarium clear over a sand flat with dark line running from all of them. My non believing partners who run dark lines are now believers and are making the switch.

10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

If ducks are flaring off your decoy lines you have much larger problems. Seriously. Everyone thinks they have the smartest most hunted ducks. You don't think ducks get educated here? Every piece of public water here gets pounded daily.