Help cooking a "steak!"

OneShotBandit

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, I've been buying Chuck Eye Steak 'cause of the price and someone here telling me how good they are/were. I cook 'em in a hot CI skillet, BUT I have NEVER had a tender one, yes not bad flavor BUT toughen a piece of shoe leather! I let them come to room temp, no salt until ready to 'fry," and I still can't get it to eat right. Is this just the "nature of the beast?" ANY advice would be great as Ribeye & other "premium" steaks have skyrocketed (thank you Brandon :mad:)! Thanks

Billy hill

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
If you have a pressure cooker, start 10 mins in the pressure than quick fry for a crust/browning. Or start with a light pineapple marinade and then fry teriyaki style. Pineapple will make the connective tissue break down. Tender fall apart

OneShotBandit

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're cooking it too long. Are they thin or thick cut?
~3/4"- 4 mins on one side them 3 mins on the other side usually hit 130-135 +/- degrees in a Cast Iron skillet. Let's keep this simple Guys! Thank you.

Last edited:

Sunklands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
~3/4"- 4 mins on one side them 3 mins on the other side usually hit 130-135 +/- degrees in a Cast Iron skillet. Let's keep this simple Guys! Thank you.
I’m gonna say that ought to be right for “medium”, if you got that iron as hot as it can get. If it ain’t smoking up your house, then the iron ain’t hot enough. I have cooked a few, at 3 minutes a side at +1” thick and finish them in the oven at 450* for a few minutes.

Sunklands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Getting a good steak from our grocer any more, is very rare. Hard to spot a good one. We eat alot of steak at my place. Round steak.
DBAE7FEF-84BC-415A-BBE5-A7E541BAF36C.jpeg

OneShotBandit

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m gonna say that ought to be right for “medium”, if you got that iron as hot as it can get. If it ain’t smoking up your house, then the iron ain’t hot enough. I have cooked a few, at 3 minutes a side at +1” thick and finish them in the oven at 450* for a few minutes.
According to ALL the experts 130-135 SHOULD be Med. Rare. I lean closer to 125-130 (and let it rest w/a loosely aluminum foil tent for about 10 mins). Can't use the oven as the Slumlord hasn't fixed/replaced it yet. IMOO, I think the cut of meat is suspect, BUT it does have flavor. Thanks for all the advice/tips as I must be doing it right!