Help cooking a "steak!"

rodney747

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Turn the chuck eye into barbacoa and go buy a ribeye or something for when you want steak.
I've raised beef for part of my living for 48 years and the chuck eye, eye of round is good quality lean beef but will NEVER be tender grilled. The 3 minute deal will work but you're basically eating raw meat with a sear. And that method will work with any cheap cut of beef. Again basically raw meat!

Vahunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
1651705922714.png

True chuck eye is the same muscle as the rib-eye, strip, the big part of the T-bone and Porterhouse - any of the 'loin' cuts. It comes from in front of the fifth rib. Since it's so far forward, there's only about 3 inches of it in the chuck portion of the carcass. There's not much in any given carcass.
Do NOT cook it like the rest of the chuck. I believe, like some others, that you're cooking it too long. I would cook it to 120-125 - rare. Maybe three minutes on a side; your mileage may vary depending on how thick, how hot your grill/pan is, quality of the carcass, etc. (I use a digital thermometer when I need one.)
I cook them often because it's just two of us at the moment. I buy US Choice; has always turned out great.
Edit: I thought it was the third rib. It's the fifth rib.

Last edited:

Vahunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
the chuck eye, eye of round is good quality lean beef but will NEVER be tender grilled.
I'm sorry but the chuck eye is not the same as eye of round. Chuck-eye comes from the chuck. Eye of round comes from the round.
1651707233689.png

eye of round: comes from the hamstring muscle at the back of the leg.
1651706816148.png

chuck eye: muscle in front of the 5th rib
1651706862625.png

rodney747

Refuge Member
Reaction score
You are definitely correct but IMO grilling results are the same for both! Again unless you keep them raw 120.

Josh carpenter

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
View attachment 340349

True chuck eye is the same muscle as the rib-eye, strip, the big part of the T-bone and Porterhouse - any of the 'loin' cuts. It comes from in front of the fifth rib. Since it's so far forward, there's only about 3 inches of it in the chuck portion of the carcass. There's not much in any given carcass.
Do NOT cook it like the rest of the chuck. I believe, like some others, that you're cooking it too long. I would cook it to 120-125 - rare. Maybe three minutes on a side; your mileage may vary depending on how thick, how hot your grill/pan is, quality of the carcass, etc. (I use a digital thermometer when I need one.)
I cook them often because it's just two of us at the moment. I buy US Choice; has always turned out great.
Edit: I thought it was the third rib. It's the fifth rib.
so that’s the really cheap steak at steak houses and why it’s bloody when I get it rare

bang you'r dead

Canada Forum Mod. Eh!
Reaction score
This reminds me of the Letterkenny episode where the boys are discussing how to cook a steak.....

WARNING!!! very foul languge--not family suitable

Latest posts