Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Help me spend my money

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by how45hard, Sep 11, 2019.

1. how45hard

how45hard Senior Refuge Member

Just turned 30 and been duck hunting since my early teens. I find myself not enjoying walking into spots with full loads of gear like I did when I was younger and been wanting a boat to access new places forever. Right now a full size boat is still a few years out so I am looking at 2 options with a budget of about $3-4000.

Option 1. Buy a 1 man layout like a 4 refuge runner and slap a small long tail on it. With this option I have a boat and blind in one package and it's enough room for me, dog, and gear. I can fit it in the garage without taking up the entire area and I can keep it when i upgrade to a full size boat. There is also little maintenance . The biggest downside is none of my hunting buddies have anything like this so it'd be pretty much solo hunting.

Option 2. Buy a cheap jon boat that's enough for 2 guys, dog, and gear. Upsides is you're able to take a partner. Downsides are more maintenance, take sup more room, and would have to sell it when upgrading.

It should also be noted I am in Oklahoma. Most of my hunting will be on lake coves/inlets and small rivers. Not any gumbo swamps or big open areas.

2. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

The two days of a boat owners life is the day he buys it and the day he sells it haha. It's so true no matter what you buy you're going to want something different and probably sell that bike. That being said I love my EBADS and if you're budget can afford it look into that. You can hunt two people in it without a dog. I don't know about your area but for 4 K I can buy a 16 or 17 ft boat with a 60 hp motor. It's used but you get a lot of value when you buy used. I bought a boat brand new and I don't think I'll ever do it it again. I got so much less boat than I could have gotten used that I never enjoyed my new boat. Just some ideas. When you buy something post some photos!

3. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

I would go with option #2. Water gets cold where you re at in winter,hunting alone is dangerous. Get more bang for your buck with a bigger used boat and check motor for good compression,check lower unit for any water. Make sure to get a title for boat and trailer from seller. Also check.tires on trailer for dry rot. Test run rig before buying! Good luck!

4. how45hard

how45hard Senior Refuge Member

I have been leaning option 2, another big concern is getting burnt buying a used boat.

5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Have a buddy who went through this conundrum a few years back. His solution? He bought a one-man boat, and told his friends to do the same. The places he has to get to make it sometimes impossible, with a bigger boat. Now, they all run small craft and share the gear load. Says he doesn't regret it.

6. Lastflight

Lastflight Senior Refuge Member

Option 1 for sure. You can add to your arsenal when money and space allows. This is route I went and it has worked out well.

7. Kendall Steffensen

Kendall Steffensen Senior Refuge Member

As I reached my mid 40's I came to the same conclusion, carrying gear stinks. I bought a Momarsh Fatboy DP and a PPF Wood Duck long tail and it works extremely well.

You have to make your own call on whether or not you think hunting with a partner is an upside. At times, the dog is all the company I would ever want.

If you go the layout route, take my advice and buy an Invisilab from the start. The amount of water a dog can bring in a layout boat is unreal.

Kendall

Frenchy in AK likes this.
  8. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Definitely #2.
    if you are not in a hurry and have patience, you can get a nice setup for reasonable money. Just keep your eyes open.

Here is my long story, maybe it can help you.

I was in the same boat(pun intended) when i started duck hunting. The setup i was looking was close to $10K

Decided to go cheap. Looked on Craigslist and soon i found a Grizzly Tracker 1448. Guy asked $2k with a trailer, 2 batteries, and a trolling motor. The boat was 5 years old but used only ones or twice. At least it looked like this.
    Asked him if he wanted to sell the boat and trailer only without batteries and the trolling motor. We negotiated to $1,200.

Then I looked for a motor. Found one 25HP for $500 but the guy tried to change impeller and lost some parts, he got frustrated and sold it.
    I negotiated it down to $400, parts were $50. Appeared that the motor is a short shaft. Sold it for $975.

Found an impounded boat with 30HP motor. The storage owner asked $1000 for motor only but if i take the boat, the trailer and the motor off his hands, he was willing to go as low as $500.
    I took it all. Sold the trailer for $100 to my neighbor under the condition he takes the boat also. The boat was fiberglass, so he cut it into the pieces and was happy with the deal. The trailer was not bad but i did not have room for it.

I Completely disassembled the motor, revised and put new everything which was necessary - $150 in parts.
    Used it with no problem for a number of years
    Then another guy sold me an overheating 25HP motor for $50. Fixed it with another $100-$120 in parts.

One day on a ramp i meet a guy who said he had almost new with less than 10 hours 30HP . He desperately needed money and wanted to sell it ASAP and asked $4K.
    I told him that i have only $2.5 and if it is good, we can make a deal. The next day he brings the motor and it definitely looked like less than 10Hours. I verified with police if there any claims of stolen motors. The guy was legit and showed me the invoice for the motor. He had it for less than 2 months.

Sold the Old 30HP for $1.2 and the 25HP for $900.

I think i did well :dv

Sorry for the long ramble mumble

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    stevena198301 likes this.
  9. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Senior Refuge Member

:bow Good job :bow well played :bow

10. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Thank you
    Yes, but it takes time and most of all patiense to sift through craigslist, talk to people and wait for the right opportunity.
    But good thing, opportunity always comes, you just need to be quick if it presents itself.

QuaaackerJack likes this.