California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Hemingway on PBS

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Green house, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Green house

Green house Senior Refuge Member

Has anyone watched Hemingway on PBS? Burns made it and it is really good imho. Hemingway was a stud no two ways about it. Beautiful wives, fought in three wars including dropping his pen and picked up a thompson and fought in the Hurtgen forrest, some of the worse combat for the US in all ww2 europe. Wounded in ww1. He and his buddys were chasing u-boats around the cuba. Loved a good cocktail and worked as hard as he played. Worth the watch.

gunnarmcc, Quackerpacker and 7pntail like this.
  2. 7pntail

7pntail Elite Refuge Member

Yup, been watching it. Ken Burns does do a nice job with the documentary’s. “Old Man on the Sea” one of my favorites as a kid.

3. yellowlabhunter

yellowlabhunter Elite Refuge Member

In 2016 I went to Italy. Venice was one of many stops. A bar known as Harry's Bar. There are no windows only a smoky glass window on front door.

I heard Hemmingway would spend 2 years in Venice after WW2, lived on a small island just off Venice.

I walked into Harry's with my wife. It's a restaurant and bar, that actors, producers etc from Hollywood would gather.

I ordered a drink, my wife and I spoke to the bartender/owner. His father was the original owner when Hemmingway would drink/write there.

The bartender would tell me Hemmingway would sit in the back if the bar, write, smoke and drink up to 12 bottles of wine a day or more then get boated back to his island daily!

Plenty of stories, but cool as heck!
    IMG_20170412_131528581.jpg

gunnarmcc and Quackerpacker like this.
  4. gunnarmcc

gunnarmcc Senior Refuge Member

I took a Hemingway literature class my junior year, we read 10 or 11 different Hemingway books/novellas in chronological order. I remember a book, it’s title currently escapes me, that centered around an American expat duck hunting In Trieste.

Hemingway, mitchner, james clavell and Steven pressfield are 4 authors I can read over and over

Quackerpacker likes this.
  5. Quackerpacker

Quackerpacker Senior Refuge Member

Man-seems like that boy could drink, hunt, fish, screw, fight, ponder, enjoy adventure and make use our short life.
    Makes me think if quite a few friends, even prouder to be just like him-almost..

Green house likes this.