Here's a marsh boat for you guys

Rowdy

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
i have been toying with the idea myself. the only other thing i can figure is to add a layer of wide mesh chicken wire or something inbetween the foam and fiberglassto make it a little more resilient...

Mikey B

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
THANKS for sharing that boat idea, that is something to think about. I like it alot !!

DuckyDave

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
If you read thru all of his construction materials,you would have seen that he used HEAVY glass mats and epoxy, so I dont think strength will be a problem

As you may or may not know the 4 rivers boat is only 2 layers of cloth and epoxy WITHOUT any foam other than the floatation in each end and doesnt give it any structura strength at all where as this has the foam as a major component of its strength

I just dont see a problem with strength other than if you are planning on hangin a MM on the transom I think there is 1 or 2 things that I will do to mine to beef it up.
Also he just used the basic kara design and modified it to his needs.

I know 2 of the people that was involved with this and there was almost 2 years of research and experimenting for this boat
Thats lot of work to give up over the net.

bm22

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
thats pretty good as long as you take care of it i bet it will last a while.

twospots

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Wow, I feel kinda stupid for not thinking of that ...... It should work great. basic concept of modern surf boards, and you know they take a beating!... Man! How could I have missed that! I kept thinking I was going to save up and buy plywood and build a pirogue type boat.... screw that, I'm building one of these! In fact I may build one that is more like a sit on top kayak for retrieving ducks when there is no dog or he does not get them... Then build a kara style boat... Should not be any more expensive than burlapping 3 dozen foamers I think...

WidgeonmanGH

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I love this idea! but I need a smaller boat. I own a marsh rat, but was playing with the idea of a building another like it over the off season. I think I hav a new idea.

What kind of foam was it?

I know nothing about fiberglass, what kind of fiberglass did he use?

Someone needs to make plans for sale for a couple of different sizes of boats like this. I would buy the plans and construction instructions in a heart beat.

ch

DuckyDave

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
To answer a couple ??

The foam board is avalable at any Home Depot/Lowes/whatever

It is a pink foam board that is used on the outside of the foundations of homes, it comes in 4x8 sheets and a couple different thicknesses-he used 2"

The glass is a 6 oz mat, I believe he said it was 60" wide and he put 2 layers on the bottom

use the best epoxy you can get-laminate the foam sheets together with it after it cures you can start shaping it

As he stated the boat that he built will hold 1200 lbs AND STILL FLOAT!! (just under the surface) :dv

If you follow the thread he has answered a lot of ??? and continues to do so. If you have any ?? register over there and ask him

MissedAgain

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I had also been playing with something like this. Was trying to do something different. The boards gave me a few ideas - thanks.

The sheets cost around $30/each.
Couple gallons of resin.
6, 7, 8 oz woven glass.
1x10's.

Probably cost around $200 to build one.

If you worry about punching a hole in the bottom - put a layer of 1/8 or 1/4 inch plywood in there or get some kevlar.

Latest posts