Here's a marsh boat for you guys

tripleb

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
It looks like a great Spring or early Summer project. I think I'll try building one this coming Spring.

D Duck

Reaction score
Originally posted by Rowdy
i have been toying with the idea myself. the only other thing i can figure is to add a layer of wide mesh chicken wire or something inbetween the foam and fiberglassto make it a little more resilient...
Chicken wire, unless completely embedded into the foam will provide little or no benefit and may create problems with the glassing.

Glass fabric over foam has been used for years to build boats and is a proven technology. Advancements have been made, but only in the form of the core (foam in this case) materials and the skin materials. Carbon fiber and/or Kevlar over honeycomb material is the lightest and strongest combination, but usually very cost prohibitive for this type of application - this is fighter jet technology. ;)

Using epoxy resin to bond the core layers and provide the skin "shell" is more than adequate for a layout boat.

LBD

Reaction score
Brilliiant man! I wonder if he gets much flex? I guess the deck and splash rails stiffn things up. I shaped a few surfboards in my youth and just might have to break out my old tools. A power plane makes short work on the foam but makes one heck of a mess in the shop.

Shoot2Kill

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Great job!:tu Put me on the waiting list would ya?? You should have let the other dog in the boat w/ya. That's just not fair!!;)

Texas Bill

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
If I get one more boat I'm gonna be single.

Hey... is he selling plans?:l :D

LBD

Reaction score
Just keep a few at your girlfriends house :D

Cuttyfunk

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Word of caution. Note that he used epoxy not resin. Resin, polyester or vinylester, contains styrene, the same thing that the polystyrene foam is made of. In short it will melt it. Also the addition of chicken wire prolly won't help the strength of the boat as the glass is alot stiffer then metal.:tu

umahunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
whats the difference between the blue board and the pink board ive called everyehere for the pink stuff and cant get it here do you think it would hold a 6.5 beavertail maybe a lil extra foam back there?

870xprs

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
do you think it would hold a 6.5 beavertail maybe a lil extra foam back there?

The amount of weight a boat will support and stay afloat depends on displacement, which translates to hull size and shape. The hull will displace a volume of water that weighs exactly as much as the boat and its contents. Each cubic foot of water displaced weighs about 67 pounds. Adding foam (or anything else) inside an existing hull will not improve the hull's displacement. If you want a hull to be capable of carrying more weight, you would need to enlarge the hull in order to displace more water and still remain afloat.

So if the 6.5 bevertail weighs approximately 65 pounds, you would need to add about a cubic foot of hull displacement to counteract the weight of the motor.

umahunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
my idea was to just exstend the foam past the end almost like putting pods on a regular boat ? is there a good supplier on the web to get epoxy and glass:tu