Hevi X pellet count.

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Mack270, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Mack270

Mack270 Refuge Member

Just got around to patterning a box of Hevi X that I've had sitting on the shelf since last year. While my patterns were acceptable I cut a shell open to get a pellet count. These are 1 1/4 oz. #4's and I counted 238 pellets. This is remarkably close to #4 steel in pellet count for the same weight load. I'm going to cut a few more open to compare.
    Has anyone else cut any open and counted pellets? I just don't see how these can be denser than steel when they have such a similar pellet count in the same shot size and load weight.

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

That's a 2 pellet difference. Something isn't right and I'm betting it's Environ metals advertising. They have a reputation for being less than honest. Not surprising at all.

Drake91 likes this.
  3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

They never said what the X stood for...:l

JP likes this.
  4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Not defending them, But....

How do the pellet sizes line up. If they were slightly different in size, that might explain it.

5. Mack270

Mack270 Refuge Member

I compared it to Kent #4 pellets and they are so close I can't tell a difference. As seems typical with Hevi brand they are not all uniform and several are joined together.
    I opened a second shell and got a 220 pellet count. I'll check a couple more tonight.

6. sbezoey

sbezoey Senior Refuge Member

Besides counting the shot, did you or can you weigh the shot charge? That would be interesting also.

7. Mack270

Mack270 Refuge Member

I don't have a scale. I'll take a few up to my dad's tomorrow and check them on his.
    Doing a google search I found a thread on another forum where a guy cut open a BB load of Hevi X and found ~89 pellets. Since 1 1/4 oz of steel BB's are right at 90 pellets that's a bit too close to steel for me.
    By the way the Hevi pellets I have are magnetic, not exactly the tungsten polymer blend that I've read about.
    I'm a bit disappointed but didn't have my hopes set too high. Environmetal appears to be trying to pull a fast one. I hate that too as I found some Hevi X in #6's today that would probably have made a nice wood duck load.

8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Environmetal has a great advertising department and not such great products anymore.
    For comparisons sake the original Hevi shot has 156 pellets of #4's in 1 1/4 oz
    With the original Hevi shot BB's there's 58 pellets in 1 1/4 oz
    I'd say your buying steel shot with some icing on the box with Hevi X.
    The original Hevi shot is some real good stuff if you can find it anymore,
    this is a 16 gauge 1 1/4 oz #6 Hevi load at 40 yards.
    16g#6hevi.JPG

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Pretty sure it is advertised as a steel-tungsten mix, so that part doesn't surprise me.

mudhen and Squaller like this.
  10. Mack270

Mack270 Refuge Member

Cut two more open and weighed them. Got 556 grains for one and 569 grains for another. I may not have gotten all of the filler seeds in the lighter one but I had most. So converting that I ended up with 1.273 oz and 1.300 oz. .