Hevi X pellet count.

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Mack270, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

A heavier than advertised shot charge of hevi-x with similar numbers to a steel shot charge that is the correct weight? Something very wrong here.

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Wow! That's a great pattern at 40 yards.

3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Thanks, that one was a bit on the high pressure side so I've gone to 1 1/8 oz and toned the load down a bit, still will kill ducks.

4. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I bought a couple boxes and two cheap to waste the shells. I took box of Hevi-X 4s on a spec hunt where conditions were not ideal, so most initial shots were 30-40 yards and my son and I both shot them. I have shot everything from kent Tungsten matrix, original Hevi-shot, Tungsten Iron, Winchester Xds all the way back to lead. The thump the Hevi-X hit those specks with was very impressive, and got our 6 with about half a box. I also tried a box of 6s in the duck blind and they were deadly again the thump they hit with seemed much greater than Kent 3s.

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I am really curious as to what you find out...

I was considering purchasing some for geese and windy days. I currently still own some old original Hevi-Steel (which by all accounts should be similar to the current Hevi-X). No doubt it is better than steel, and is a go-to for geese and windy days... I would purchase a few boxes for both conditions, but I certainly want to get what I am paying for.

From another forum here is a supposed email from Environmental Metals regarding Hevi X:

HEVI-X starts in tungsten powder form, mixed with polymers, each pellet is compressed weighing 9.7 gram/cc just under the weight of lead at 1450 fps expect lead like results, 50% more energy than straight steel.

If I were you, I would email them, and let them know of your findings and specifically ask what the density of Hevi-X is supposed to be, and why the pellet count is so similar to standard steel loads... I would specifically ask what the density is supposed to be, and how it is sized comparatively to standard steel. I would be very interests to hear their reply.

Interestingly, I have heard and seen statements regarding what the density is supposed to be from forums, outdoor magazine articles and such, but "I" have yet to see Environmental Metals actually make any direct statement as to the density of the stuff. Very well could be the stuff is 7.9 gram/cc (as opposed to 7.8 gram/cc of steel), and they insinuated a higher density???

6. Northhunter

Northhunter Senior Refuge Member

I was thinking about this thread the other night. I have a box a buddy picked up for me in the fall to try on geese (I've yet to see them locally).. 20ga 2's. He said they were $60 a box!!! (Canadian, but still...).

I sacrificed one. Little less in the shell than the stated shot charge (I believe these are 1oz & it had 9/10ths or so). Weighed out the same in #3 steel and did the ol' water displacement test (thought somebody somewhere would have done this by now? Googled all kinds of forum stuff about this very topic.. nobody anywhere actually checked). Didn't have a graduated cylinder but curiosity was getting the best of me so I checked with a couple test tubes.. so no "hard numbers" or calculations but the Hevi-x is indeed a little denser. Eyeballing it I'd say the steel displaced maybe 10% more water. Take it for what it's worth...

7. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

.^^^ Hmmm...that would put it at ~8.58 gm/cm and ~1.12 gm/cm (~11.6%) lighter than allegedly advertised.

8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Not as advertised..Say it isn't so...:l

9. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

My buddy bought some for high flying snows this year and told me he was pleasantly pleased with the performance. HeviX 3.5" 1500 FPS. BB's.

10. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I'd say you're right.