Hevi X pellet count.

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Mack270, Dec 21, 2018.

1. 1911king

1911king Senior Refuge Member

How tight of a choke are you guys using with the HeviX load?

2. Seahawk18

Seahawk18 Senior Refuge Member

My son and I both use Carlsons LM chokes in our Franchi 20s. 2s for geese and 4s for ducks. We feel it performs better than steel especially on the windy days.

3. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

Everybody says they're a scam, but my buddy swears by them. I can't get too excited about the price tag! $$$

4. Willicd76

Willicd76 Refuge Member

The funny thing about wingshooting is......it's very confidence based. If you buy something that is supposed to be "the best" it is likely to boost your confidence right? You are on your A game and stuff dies so you think you have found the holy Grail of shotshells. Little did you know you were taken for lots of money by some slick advertising! The only way to know what you really have is to load them yourself.......
    Same pellet count/same weight (assuming same size pellets)= same stuff (in this case steel)
    There is no other explanation

Tuleman likes this.
  5. Seahawk18

So you're saying I got scammed by buying Hevi-X. I don't know enough about killing ducks to know the difference? Well I've been doing this for over 60 years so I do have a little experience shooting all different types of duck ammo. The Hevi-X is definitely more effective for me than steel. I have taken a number of specks at 45-50 yards where the pellets have passed completely thru the bird. Don't get that with steel. I have pulled a few #2 Hevi-X pellets from birds and they are not magnetic. I don't shoot Hevi-X all the time but in some situations it's definitely worth the extra cost.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Only thing wrong with HX is the cost. They are a fine shell. 'I' don't need em, but you can use em in my blind!

Seahawk18 likes this.
  7. Willicd76

Willicd76 Refuge Member

Sir, what I'm saying is using the properties of physical science, if the pellets are the same size, have the same count, and have the same total weight, they HAVE to be made out of the same material! Evidently someone paid for heavy shot but was sold steel shot....that's all I am saying. I myself believe that anything more dense than steel is better than steel. Again, physical science says it has to be so.

8. Seahawk18

I understand the physics part of it. I don't see where it has been proven the pellets are the same weight and the same material as steel shot. If Hevi-X is steel wouldn't it be magnetic. It is not.

9. Willicd76

Willicd76 Refuge Member

IM NOT SAYING THAT YOU GOT TAKEN, the op reported that his pellet counts, sizes, and weights corresponded with being steel shot! Maybe they ran out of heavy shot and just decided to load a few with steel to get by. I have no idea, but if it walk like a duck and talks like a duck, it's not heavy shot.....

Dogface likes this.
  10. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

While you are certainly on the right track here, Willi, it would be more accurate to say "they HAVE to be made of materials that are of the same density." I.e. A tungsten-polymer shot could be made that has the same density as steel. Which seems to be the case here if, as Seahawk says, it is non-magnetic. I might have to buy a box myself and find out for sure.
    If this is the case, then what would be the point? ...you'd just be shooting very expensive "steel".

Squaller and JP like this.