Hey statistics boys

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by borntohunt, Aug 18, 2019.

1. LADucks

LADucks Senior Refuge Member

Until every farmer in the delta starts "recreational plowing" like they always do in "preparation for next year". Can't tell these guys nothing. It's what their grandpas did so it's what they're gonna do.

2. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Up here on the north end, nearly all of the Bootheel and NEAR get fall tilled(ridge tilled) or residue is burnt off. When they talk “farming practices” I believe they’re referring to those up north who practice the majority of no-till corn(corn belt).

3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Nah, haven't been in years up here. It's rare TN has much to hold teal. We're allowed to shoot wood ducks, and I used to get after them, but it just doesn't seem worth it unless you find some real close to home and easy to get to.

4. Sunklands

We’re not allowed to shoot wood duck, during teal season and are covered up with them. They had a heckuva hatch due to higher spring and early summer water levels being so high. The higher waters actually inhibited alot of predation. We actually had more(not a lot) nesting mallards and shovelers in the areas around Mingo NWR, Duck Creek, Otter Slough and St.Francis River.

5. bill cooksey

Not certain, but I believe only KY, TN and FL have the wood duck season. All went through decades of "testing." For years it meant we only had 4-5 days of teal season. Now we have a few days of legal wood ducks and several more where only teal can be shot.

6. LADucks

LADucks Senior Refuge Member

Over here it seems it has little to do with weed control and a whole lot to do with "we got nothing better to do so lets plow it to moon dust and row it up now for next year". That's also knowing its going to have water and traffic on it for months.

7. Sunklands

Seemed to think maybe, Wisconsin was in on it too. I know I’ve shot several banded wood ducks that came from Wisconsin.

8. Sunklands

Fall tillage is done to help break down the previous crop residue, help drainage over fall and winter months, eliminate compaction and to get one step ahead in the planting process for the up coming spring. When I can(weather permitting) I do all the fall tillage I can. Farmers are not typically in the business of wasting fuel, time and hired wages.

9. ducaholic

ducaholic Elite Refuge Member

Figured you might have headed this way for a hunt or two.

10. bill cooksey

I wish, but between son heading to college, work and personal stuff, I couldn't make it work. I'm gonna try to spend at least a week down there next September.