Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Hey y’all yankees

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by ducknwork, Jun 8, 2021.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

The war. "Yankee" was used for folks from up north long before the war and continues long after. Carpetbaggers were a specific type of yankee, but obviously all yankees weren't carpetbaggers. I tend to like yankees, but I tend to like people in general.

Also worth noting, most yankees have the same type of regional pride but don't have a specific word to build it around. You can see plenty of it in this thread, but such reflection is difficult for some. There's plenty for yanks to take pride in.

@Fasteel72, hit me up and let's have a beer

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  2. Sam Ortmann

Sam Ortmann Senior Refuge Member

It was 88 when I checked the weather. I was really just making a joke, hence the word weenies. We’ve got about the same weather y’all in Minnesota are having and I’m cussing it right now. I just thought the school closures were funny. We’ve had class in everything from -12 to 106.
    As for the rains, I’m back up in Missouri right now. We’ve just been catching the tail end of them up here. It’s been keeping us out of work, but nothings been flooding. I’ve got some friends in New Orleans though that had standing water in their living room.

hobbydog likes this.
  3. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

I've only been there once to visit family up near Hays and it was in the summer, but remind me, do you guys have mosquitoes?

It might not get 115 in Houston, but plenty of times its 100 with 100% and clouds of vampires.

4. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

The word YANKEE was in existence more than 80 years before it was perverted to mean whatever the hell it means in your mind. British soldiers called the colonist rebels Yankees.
    I'm proud to be one.
    Try not to step in the poop from my pony please.

5. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

Since we're speaking in generalizations, I think the "pride" and identity is far less prevalent and strong in the north as much of the northern population are decended from immigrants who arrived in the U.S. long after the Civil War.

You see it strongly in many northern cities where neighborhoods still have a distinctly European ethnic identity (e.g. Irish in Boston [with an Italian North end], Scandinavian in the upper Midwest, NYC with a bit of everything, etc.). Growing up there was a part of my city where Polish was still spoken regularly. None of these people or their decendents have any connection to the Civil War or the North/South identity associated with it (including me).

I also think it's hard to argue that the Civil War doesn't hold a far greater place in the psyche of many southerners than it does northerners...partly because the difference in the way it is taught regionally (e.g., fought over states rights vs. enslavement, War or Northern Aggression vs. Rebels, etc.), partly because there's far more connection ancestrally to the region and conflict (Bill, you're a perfect example of that), and partly because the nature of the outcome created a distinct and "lost" identity that southerners hold on to, whereas in the north it's always been all things "America".

Personally, my sense of "pride" comes more from how I live my life vs. where I live it. The two are of course linked, but as an outsider living in a region with a distinct cultural identity that I'm not a part of, I can't tie my pride to it.....but I'll still make fun of grown men who can't drive in snow.

hobbydog likes this.
  6. bill cooksey

Not sure who you're talking to, but it was used prior to 1800 in the south to refer to those born in the north. The word origins date back long before the British used it to refer to colonials, and even that use predates the revolutionary war. Basically, it's use has always been colloquial everywhere so the definition has varied a great deal.

7. Aunt Betty

Suppose John Brown attacked a Fort today and due to political correctness and social distancing the commander immediately surrendered.
    :)

8. bill cooksey

There's no doubt the civil war is far more entrenched in the southern psyche, and there are myriad reasons. In the sentence you quoted, I wasn't referring to the war at all. Most people have at least some measure of local, state, regional, national and ethnic pride. Obviously it varies a great deal among people, and the longer your history in an area the more you tend to feel such.

9. Aunt Betty

The entire nation is our country.
    Even ...
    California. :clap

10. Kansan

Kansan Senior Refuge Member

Yes. More of them, and especially more humidity, in the eastern part of the state.