Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Hey y’all yankees

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by ducknwork, Jun 8, 2021.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Where did I imply otherwise, yankee? We are of the same nation.

Obviously my ancestors once established their own little country for a few years, but yanks invaded, overthrew the lawful and duly elected government and forced my ancestors to acquiesce by force of arms. We're over it and agree it was generally for the best. It's just an interesting point in history.

dwr353 and texduk3 like this.
  2. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

Right...my point was that "Yankee pride" has less to do with region than southern pride does. Up here, a Yankee is a baseball player in the Bronx. People don't view themselves as part of team "north" or feel as deep a connection to other states based on the war, college football, climate, or any other reason. Nobody drives around with "Yankee" flags on their trucks (unless they're a baseball fan) and there is no collective term used to differentiate southerners. The entire concept is just viewed through a different lens.

3. bill cooksey

As I said, we have a word and historical boundaries to identify and generalize people not from the south. Y'all don't have that, but it doesn't mean local, state, regional, national and ethnic pride don't exist. It's just semantics.

4. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Snow isn't much of a problem, it's the ice that shuts things down. And most times when we get snow it very quickly turns to ice. When the daytime temps are warm enough for stuff to start melting but then cold enough at night to refreeze it makes for quite the dangerous roads.

bill cooksey likes this.
  5. bill cooksey

This is definitely true. Anecdotally I'd also say in the 90s my region went from primarily snow storms to more freezing rain and ice storms. Both are obviously more difficult to deal with on the road and power lines. Couple that with the fact you don't learn to drive well in something you only encounter once every few years.

I love driving in it. There's far less traffic, and cops leave you alone.

newduk and tcc like this.
  6. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

I spent a few months at 29 Palms, CA. It was routinely over 100, but a dry heat. This meant that you didn't realize you were sweating because it evaporated so quickly. At the end of the day, your utilities were crusted white with salt. At the E club you were well on your way after a couple of beers because you didn't realize you were so dehydrated.
    Shortly after that, I took a vacation to SE Asia. Heat and humidity was a bear. You knew you were sweating. We didn't change clothes, we just waited for them to rot off. We lost Marines to heat stroke, regardless of which side of the Mason-Dixon Line they hailed from. Life's a biotch and then you die.

7. Harsens Island Jerry

Harsens Island Jerry Refuge Member

I know that's right. It can start out in the 30s & get up to the 80s same day.
    Some years we are iced in before Thanksgiving, This year my boat was still in at mid January.

8. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Well, other than the nickname for union soldiers literally being “Billy Yank,” I guess so

9. bill cooksey

But that was pretty much just the war and folks who went through it, and "Billy Yank" mostly fell out of use as those who actually experienced the war died off. The same thing was common up north in that period with "Johnny Reb." Difference is folks down here referred to them as yankees long before the war and most still do to some extent, and thus historical use of the moniker has virtually nothing to do with the war since the overwhelming period of use was outside of those years.

texduk3 likes this.
  10. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

And if you'd been stationed in jolly ole England prior to D-Day, even if you were from south of I-10, YOU were a Yank.

Sam Ortmann, oleww and Kansan like this.