High Summer

Fsbirdhouse

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Me and big dog were out in the back yard under the big globe Willow just now, me in my recliner, beverage of choice in hand, and Jake stretched out in the grass.
The shade of the trees is perfect when the cement on the patio begins to get too warm and the house doesn't block the cool of the afternoon breeze there, and recuperating from a surgery in like fashion has kept me off the river troubling the Bass and Trout. It is a rather delightful way to pass warm afternoons.
The Greenwood has reached it's deepest shades now along the banks of the Snake river, and the official start of 'High Summer' is only days away with low 90*s forecast for most of next week,.
The river continues to drop after the disaster storm at Yellowstone recently. Most of that storm's water went down the Eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains, but much fell on our West side and it has raised the Snake river along with the normal run-off of the snows.
As I sat in the recliner drifting along in thought, it occurred to me that in only three weeks the grain fields surrounding the little farm community I live in will see the first yellow patches heralding the approach of harvest time, which always puts me in mind the hunting seasons are not too far behind. Indeed, the first Elk hunts will start on the Snake River zone August first.
But not to jump the gun just yet, there is much fishing to be done, and already there are rumors the big Rainbows and some Bass are beginning to bestir themselves.
We hope for a Blue ribbon year for both the hunting and fishing this year...but then we always do!

Woodduck31

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I've seen that the south fork of the snake is pretty low when we drive by heading to Ashton. Caleb has only guided it once so far this year. He also said the Henry's fork has dropped substantially since I was there riding flows twice as high as what I had experienced in past seasons.

I haven't big game hunted since moving to mt Home. I kind of lost track of the hunting seasons, but do remember what we called the "hot hunt" in unit 39 for deer.

I'm not much of one for heat and this year has been a nice reprieve from last June. The hot is coming, after all it is summer, we will be complaining about the cold soon enough. My main concern is for shop time with the west facing doors over the concrete 3 car wide slab making the shop unworkable by mid afternoon. I have a portable water cooler that follows me around the shop, but this time of year I'd rather be in the boat on the rivers of eastern Idaho.

I watered my lawn for the first time this past week, it's been the wettest spring since we moved here 31 years ago. I have a few deadlines to meet in the shop this next month, it might seem strange since I'm retired, but that's how it is. I still have another 18 cranes to make by September 1 and that will be the end of the cranes since Final Approach has them now. It's time for some more creative carving rather than completing something for someone else. The only place I float decoys anymore is in the water feature in front of the house.

salthunter

Reaction score
Sunday afternoon I headed for the area we elk hunt. Then hiked in to retrieve a dead battery trail cam. Camped at 8100 feet.
Lots of mosquitos
Then today I headed to pick up my bear baiting gear. , got home to Pocatello 92 degrees ,,, I dont like it

I did see something neat. A bald eagle go after a crow..

Then at the gas station,, visiting with a fellow who had just picked up his grand mother in law from Kenick, Minnesota to move her to their place in Vegas. Today was her birthday, 105. She shuffled along just fine

Woodduck31

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The wife and I made a trip over yesterday afternoon to Ashton to do a little mousing in the rv. Caleb is back home for the week and let me know he was having trouble. It’s too hot to work in mountain home anyway. I’m sitting here at 1:50 am with the smell of peppermint oil in the air and windows wide open thinking about turning the heater on. I can see why peppermint would be a deterrent, wow. Our dog doesn’t seem to be bothered by it. Other rv folks think it’s the stuff. I spent the afternoon and evening filling entrance points with steel wool and weed and grass trimming around the camper. Hopefully that will help. This is our fourth year over here and never had any problems before. The grass was knee high on the backside with wheat fields everywhere. Hey salt I have a few gallons of syrup, mollasis, and chocolate syrup I need to get rid of. Any interest?

Fsbirdhouse

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at weather.com weather forecast for the next two weeks with only exceptions being in the very high 80*s, the rest were in the low to mid 90*s and we are looking, for the most part, at the biggest part of two months.
As I flood irrigate the property, that heat is only a problem when the water is low in the ditches.
I'll fish mornings, and man the recliner in the afternoons under my big Globe Willow in the back yard.
I've developed a routine

Woodduck31

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
They raised the water level on the Henry’s fork the last several days which cooled things off some. The hatch was big yesterday evening and the trout were willing to inhale just about any small dry fly we showed them. There was only a handful of boats out but the calls of “fish on” were common. That will likely be a wrap for the lower Henry’s fork till fall. With the building heat, water temps will quickly be too hot to fish. Time to move to cooler waters.

salthunter

Reaction score
I started two new bait locations near where we bear hunt. the one baiting 14 days nearly 400 lbs The other site I hauled in 50-70 lbs, , cleaned up good.

I really expected to be over Ashton way but life just keeps getting in the way. Now Anna Marie has Corvid
I have a few gallons of syrup, mollasis, and chocolate syrup I need to get rid of. Any interest?

Fsbirdhouse

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I started two new bait locations near where we bear hunt. the one baiting 14 days nearly 400 lbs The other site I hauled in 50-70 lbs, , cleaned up good.

I really expected to be over Ashton way but life just keeps getting in the way. Now Anna Marie has Corvid
I hope all goes well with Anna Marie!

salthunter

Reaction score
Thanks:She is doing better and better. Today just like a bad cold cough, a bit tired. Ive been trying to stay away unless she needs something

Fsbirdhouse

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Just back from the Doc's. I've had Covid for weeks now and felt like I had coughed so much I was on the verge of blowing out chunks of lung.
Things really settled down a couple of days ago, and after Doctor visit I was much in need of a drive through the farm lands.