Historical Reference Material

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by Paddler, Jan 23, 2010.

1. feelinducky

feelinducky New Member

Look forward to reading your history of Utah hunting, Paddler.

Here are a couple of things I could find from recent publications.
    ?The discovery of the GSL by Jim Bridger in 1824, as he explored the Bear River Delta, introduced European man to the lake?s abundant waterbird resources (Miller1980).Since that time, valley residence interests in GSL bird life changed from the eclectic practices of egg collection, guano harvest and market shooting to contemporary scientific investigation. With increasing human populations in the GSL valley came an elevated awareness in GSL bird life. It was difficult to ignore the extent and richness ofwaterbird presence. The establishment of numerous duck clubs within the delta complexes of the Jordan, Weber, and Bear River systems is evidence of the abundant
    migratory waterfowl moving through the lake?s wetlands. The creation of State and Federal wildlife management areas followed on the heels of duck club development.These areas were originally established to enhance, protect, and manage waterfowl habitat. Currently, there are nine wildlife management areas including eight State areas and one, large Federal wildlife area.? (Utah DWR Grat Salt Lake Waterbird Survey). Lots of historical references in there.

As for your other work I commend your effort but I?m afraid that ?old time? duck hunters and conservation minded sportsman are a thing of the past. It?s a shame to see the ?new school? mind set take over a great sport. These new guys with ?all about horse power? signatures, spinning wing and motion decoys, surface drive motors, cupped props, layout boats and layout blinds, boat blinds, etc. etc. etc. All of this new technology and still Utah and Nevada are the only two lower 48 states in the Pacific Flyway to see a decrease in overall duck harvest, yet Utah has seen a 102% increase in days of hunting per adult and Nevada has seen a 137.8% increase, thus the seemingly crowded conditions in light of fewer hunters. Looks like the ?old timers? new a thing or two about hunting waterfowl.

I threw the statistics in for Mojo, could not resist, you can find lots of stats. In the 2008 Pacific flyway report. Its worth looking at.

Most of the old historic Nevada marshes near home are gone, Lovelock, Fallon, Rye Patch, Stillwater to name a few all suffering at the hands of urban sprawl taking water away. I try to make at least one trip to Utah every year. Much has changed in the last 30 years, post flood has seen the most dramatic changes, most for the worst. From an outsiders perspective, I believe some ?new school? marsh management is necessary to keep up with the new age of duck hunting.

I look forward to reading it, keep up the good work

2. mojo1

mojo1 Elite Refuge Member

:rolleyes: I'll throw out a statistic I witnessed at the Northern RAC meeting where they were discussing the waterfowl regulations, over 25 attendees that opposed that motor less proposal, 0 in attendance to support it.

Sorry, could not resist!

3. Swiss Goose

Swiss Goose Banned

Mojo, don't you have a date with a pig or some secret DOD things to do.

4. feelinducky

feelinducky New Member

The blind leading the blind.

5. mojo1

a quote I once heard comes to mind "the world is ruled by those who show up", guess you should have showed up when it counted.:cool:

6. mojo1

Colby, you've been quiet lately and all of us have appreciated that fact:tu; since no one wants to listen to your crap, so go crawl back under your rock!:dv

7. feelinducky

feelinducky New Member

Look who showed up at the polls for the last Presidential election. Are you happy with the "majority" that showed up?

8. Paddler

Paddler Banned

Thanks, feelinducky, that's good stuff, and very helpful. Do you know where I can find the Miller reference?

Let's all be nice and respectful to one another, please. It's more fun that way.:)

9. mojo1

Nope but at least I voted, did you??

10. Paddler

Paddler Banned

Another thought occured to me. Anybody have old photos of airboats, or know the history? I thought I read somewhere that airboats were actually invented here.