Hong Kong?

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Squaller, Aug 15, 2019 at 12:29 AM.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Admittedly, I do not have the best understanding of foreign affairs...

But, I was not a fan of the China Tariffs when they were put in place... Admittedly some of Trump's tariff strategies have worked to our benefit (which I was glad to be wrong about), but I have not seen any benefit in the Chinese tariffs, and it seems to me that Americans are simply paying more for the same products??? And the Chinese have stopped buying ours...

However, now that Hong Kong is fighting for it's freedom, Trump resolves to back off on the Tariffs??? His statements regarding the unrest in Hong Kong have been ambiguous at best... And at this exact moment he decides to back off on the Tariffs?

Trump is seeing the economy slip, and is obviously addressing this by backing off on his tariff stance. At the exact moment when we should be putting financial pressure on China and supporting Hong Kong...

Obviously Hong Kong citizens are hoping for our (American) support, it is not to be found.

It seems to me that Trump is providing some good political fodder for the Dems in the upcoming election... And no matter what he does now will (to some degree) successfully be used against him... If he does put financial support on China, and our economy suffers, that will be used against him... By not putting financial pressure on China, he will be criticized for backing down instead of pushing forward... Lose, lose here for Trump as I see it...

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  2. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Elite Refuge Member

*** is that video???? Some Chinese dudes singing our national anthem. Apparently I don’t have a clear understanding of foreign affairs either.

3. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

These are protesters in Hong Kong professing their goal of "American Freedom."

I thought it interesting that Hong Kong citizens are attempting to gain their freedom from China and singing the National Anthem... Seems people from other countries often have more appreciation for American Freedom than many of our own citizens. It is an obvious ploy to gain American support during these "protests." But, it does make a point.

4. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I'm all for freedom, but I guess it boils down to the question of is HongKong part of China? If so, what can we do?

5. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

The British are the ones who basically made the mess of Hong Kong today. They had to be so honorable and just hand Hong Kong back over to the Chinese in 1997 when the 99 year lease ran out. The people of Hong Kong where under British rule for 99 years and got used to the being basically free and not under Communist rule thing.
    I know in 1997 the Chinese would have taken Hong Kong by force and thrown the Brits out if they had to, but it had nothing to do with us that the Brits weren't the colonial super power they were 100 years ago.

OneShotBandit and widgeon like this.
  6. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Thanks.
    Young man in town owns the best Chinese restaurant we have in town, you talk with him and you can hear some stories about when the Brits handed back Hong Kong to the Chinese. His mom and dad fled to the U.S. before the handover was complete, he was only a few years old and all of them became naturalized American Citizens as soon as they could.
    His dad gave up a whole lot coming here, apparently he was a big time chef in Hong Kong and was Michelin star rated.
    When I tell you there's no love lost between them and the Brits it seems for sure, the son told me most people in Hong Kong feel to this day the Brits abandoned them with out even putting up a struggle.

Squaller and OneShotBandit like this.
  8. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Our hands are tied. I don't think we even recognize Taiwan's independence from China.

I've watched some of the videos of the riots and the authorities and protesters fight like sixth grade school girls.

I thought the Chinese were all Kung fu masters. :nutz

widgeon likes this.
  9. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

That's racist!!! :yes

10GAGENUT and OneShotBandit like this.
  10. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

I have been as perplexed about Trump's moves/statements regarding China/Hong Kong as you @Squaller. That said, I'm afraid all his positive steps as President will be for not if Trump loses in 2020. There's not much the US can do to help the protestors except continue pressure on China so winning in 2020 has to be a bigger priority and our economy is THE critical factor in that regard. Yet... ambiguity about the protests serves neither of those goals. Like I said... Perplexed... :scratch