Decoy Forum Sponsors

Honker Floaters

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Greenhead Rocker, Aug 12, 2019.

1. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

Weight is very important to me, I don't want my decoys to be heavy as lead. This rules out many of the new "made in China decoys" on the market. This is why I use old style G&H floaters, very light weight, good lines, finish birds no problem, very durable, easy to repaint if needed. As far as removable heads, very nice during the off season for storage. If you don't like removable heads, use some plumbers goop, then they are "non removable" guaranteed to stay put. No problem!:tu

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

AvianX are the most realistic? Put them next to a real Canada. Feather detail is cut way too deep (as it is on all AvianX decoys) and paint highlights are over done. But, hey, one has it's bill open and the tongue is pink, that's all that matters. I lived on a lake for 10 years with mallards and Canadas on my dock and in my lawn daily so maybe I am a little picky about the details when someone says "realistic".

3. Chesapeakecody

Chesapeakecody Senior Refuge Member

Valid points. Not perfect but in my opinion closer then most others. I also grew up in a similar situation except on my beach no dock. What would you say is the most realistic decoy? No sarcasm or anything.

4. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

only a goose could answer that. Any opinion you get from any of us on here is just that, an opinion.

5. The Yeti

The Yeti Elite Refuge Member

Just because no one has mentioned them yet and they are my favorite; Higdon alpha floaters. They are big, look good, really durable, and I like the keel better than BF. I have the foam filled version, and they are really heavy, but the non-filled version would save some weight.
    Going on maybe 4 seasons now banging around in the boat, no bags or babying, no issues. 1 or 2 have shot marks, maybe a pellet or 2, they are dang tough.

I've seen some BFs leak in the past few years, especially the B2 series. But BF would be my second choice.

6. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

B2s arent near as good as original BFs. They found that out pretty quickly

7. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

This!

8. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Wouldnt paint highlights overdone be beneficial?I've heard of guys touching up the white on New decoys so they could be seen better.

9. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Yes it would but my comment was directed at a comment that called them the most realistic. People preach realism and at the same time want exaggerated features that are not realistic. The 2 don't go together. See my point?

10. Full Force Five

Full Force Five Elite Refuge Member

Big Foot floaters, simple.