Hoods on waterfowl coats

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by blacktail, Dec 25, 2019.

1. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

There are times a hooded jacket is the real ticket
    Years back I bought a cabelas waterfowl jacket
    On those days it feels cold; maybe 50 degrees maybe -20 and a bit of wind and it makes the walk ride or drive comfortable

I do like a hooded sweat shirts
    Then. Don’t need a dickie or neck gaiter

It’s he jacket in my agitate on my dog

2. Long Shot

Long Shot Senior Refuge Member

Hunt the break wall with water coming over it on the big lakes, you will wear a hood or go home.

3. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

I am a Duck Thug we gots to roll wif a hoodie up in the duck hood.

4. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

I’ve had a Columbia Widgeon jacket and liner for the last 3 or 4 seasons. I still wear my 20 year old Cabelas jacket day to day...unless it’s raining. The Columbia does a good job of keeping me dry and the hood sucks less than most...it is, however, still a hood.

5. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

Can you unzip or unsnap the hood?

6. duckloads&lattes

duckloads&lattes New Member

Sitka is almost universally hated on this forum, but I'm going to go ahead and put this out there - the delta wading jacket has a hood that is actually well thought out and useful. I'm with you guys, every hood I've ever had was a pain in the neck to use. It would either obscure my vision or allow in more water than it kept out.

The hood on the sitka jacket is surprisingly well thought out. It is secure enough that it moves with your head rather than your head moving inside of it. The jacket in general is over priced, and even with a pro discount is expensive - but it works remarkably well in keeping rain off me. I don't typically need super water repellent gear in West Texas, but I travel quite a bit for hunts and was impressed with it in Oregon, Washington, and Colorado.

In the interest of full disclosure, and maybe I'm an exception... but I pretty well own their entire waterfowl line and am neither a d-bag or fanboy. I just like their stuff and have had zero issues with it.

7. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

If I could get the discount on Sitka I'd probably try their shell, but full price is way too much.

Clam and tcc like this.
  8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I don't think anyone hates them. I joke about them all the time, but still think it's great gear---just not twice the price kinda great.

9. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I concur with previous poster about the hoods on Sitka jackets. I have the Delta Wading Jacket and for colder hunts, the Hudson jacket. Hoods on both can be adjusted to stay with your head as it moves.

I have been fortunate enough to buy Sitka stuff on a pro deal, otherwise it would probably be too expensive for me.

10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I you lived in this part of the country (where we actually have ducks that migrate) if you didn't hunt in the rain you would have your pick of about 10 days out of the 107.

Some of the most spectacular days I have seen have been 1" of rain per hour or more and 30-50mph wind. January ducks so stupid that you can be standing in the decoys and shoot them as they try to land. It's worth getting wet and cold to experience that.