Hope for rain

Discussion in 'Minnesota Flyway Forum' started by Neighbor Guy, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Elite Refuge Member

Cause if we don’t get some good rains it’s going to be crowded in the duck swamp this season. At least those that have water in them.

I have been to all corners of the state in the last two weeks. I am seeing very little water in the majority of it. There is going to be a significant shortage of water in this state this fall at the rate we are going.

Check your favorite spots and be prepared to find a plan B or C. I have a feeling that areas that have water are going to have a lot more pressure than normal.

Several of my favorite spots are completely dry. One is “spongy” another has been plowed and is growing corn. The farmer stated he hasn’t had corn in that spot since the 80’s.

I have a feeling we are all going to be learning how to hunt “big water” or at least spots that are better described as lakes rather than ponds.

The lake at home is down 2’.

2. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I'd like to turn it off here. I think we've had maybe 14 hours of sunshine this month. (Seems like it)
    It's like winter gloom.
    Raining again? 16264482800106899601562547009148.jpg
    The Canada geese here had a poor first clutch but recovered nicely. Seeing large family groups of 12-15 birds it's looking good here.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  3. Beaverpond

Beaverpond New Member

Can’t say I agree. Maybe it’s a bad thing out in farm country for your little cattail sloughs, but I’ve never seen rice like this year. And in my experience the shallow lakes are more productive during low water anyways. Also, with the PPR bone dry, more ducks pushing east into the parklands and boreal forest for breeding habitat….. I’m pretty optimistic for this fall.

4. Paul Myrdahl

Paul Myrdahl Senior Refuge Member

Yup the rice is thick. Haven't seen it like this since the dry periods of the early 80s.

5. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

2F4B9392-A4A4-419F-A995-F5D86F6EF8A4.jpeg Finally got a little rain today. 1 1/4” Been having water bombers flying over us for the last week working fires so nice to see the rain.

6. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

Well the big "storm" gave us a tenth of an inch last night. That's been the song and dance all year so far here. At least a little more of the grass might make it through!

7. MJ1657

MJ1657 Senior Refuge Member

.25 by the Princeton farm pond. Sure looked like we were going to get clobbered with all the wind, lightning, and thunder.

Neighbor Guy likes this.
  8. MJ1657

MJ1657 Senior Refuge Member

Were going to start chopping corn silage Sunday before the corn gets completely away from us.

It will be great for goose hunting not so much for feeding cows.

Neighbor Guy likes this.
  9. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

It's not too late!! Things can change in a matter of a couple days. The good news...if we do get wet, we'll have a s**tload of ducks around

10. Paul Myrdahl

Paul Myrdahl Senior Refuge Member

Talked to a native fella yesterday at the landing of a good sized rice lake. He was worried about being able to move his canoe through the rice. Jokingly said he almost killed his kid the day before on a different lake.

There will be ducks holding in N Minn this year but they are going to be hard to get at and hard to hunt.