Horseshoe Lake Alexander County

Gadwall King

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I bet in 1973 they drove you to your blind but for some reason in 2020 and from now on they cannot. Four guys running the draw for 10 groups of hunters. The draw lasts 20 minutes and they spend the rest of the day sitting on their but doing nothing. These guys don’t care if you kill a duck or not.

High Ball Caller

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Sorry but I have to agree. The IDNR sites have gone downhill the past 5 to 6 years. I am not buying the budget cut excuse. They still have the same number of people working. It will be interesting to compare the kill numbers for this year versus years past. Evidently Horsehoe will be down drastically. I know they didn’t get crops planted because of the flood but it’s not even worth going if you have the number one pick.

DEADEYE

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Got my first goose at the state hunting area in 1973, l was 14. My dad's birthday was New Years day. Hunted every New Years eve & day for my dads birth day for about 10 years. But breakfast first & some times lunch at the Goose Pit! Except the years qouta was out! Those were the days! Hunted a lot there 'n Ware. Miss the 'ol Von Dot too! Miss the geese also!
Breakfast was family style and you could buy a box of shells from behind the bar. I killed my first goose at Gene Graces in 1972

ten times better

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
called sunday they killed 1 duck wed-sat we have #3 for wed. [23] going to forgo the 6hrs of driving 2 of our boys have #8 they'll be there[yougens]

howard s.

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Day after season end....all the ducks in the Mississippi flyway be here.:mad:

howard s.

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Up from Union Co. refuge at R3
and R148.
They sell rock there now.