House Push to Repeal Pittman-Robertson

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Posted this in the political forum, but wanted to put it here since it is a hunting issue.

HR 8167 isn’t being talked about much, but it’s horrible legislation for our wildlife resources and for every hunter, shooter and angler. It would repeal the biggest source of conservation funding in the world, and it would move our chair away from the table in conservation decision making. Pittman-Robertson was developed, pushed forward and supported by sportsmen. The only people for this legislation are republicans who are ignorant of the history of the law AND liberal environmentalists who want us out of the picture. Check the list, and make a call if your representative is supporting it.

gearjunkie.com

Breaking: House Bill Proposes Repealing Pittman-Robertson Act

riverrat47

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
After working in the natural resource field for over five decades, I can assure you that animal rights/anti-hunting groups have made numerous inroads into state and federal agencies. The one thing we hook & bullet guys could draw on to keep hunting access on public ground was the fact that WE pay for it. You take away Pittman-Robertson and Dingle-Johnson (fishing counterpart) and the sportsman's access to public lands for hunting will be gone in a decade or two. Fishing will take a bit longer because those anti groups haven't pushed as hard against it...YET.

stevena198301

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Any idea where I would find a list of reps supporting this?

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

stevena198301

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
And a guaranteed way to completely lose power on public land will be the norm until that “better funding route” comes along. Or some anti-hunting legislation is passed never allowing hunters to have a say again. This plan is short-sighted.

Swampfoot

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Kind of a tough one. Best info I can find on my state is that 22% of the FWC budget is from federal grants, which includes but is not just pittman robertson money. I don't think PR money amounts to that much for most states. I tend to agree with the ideology of not taxing a right i.e. 2nd amendment through a self imposed tax on out door goods. Granted this tax was not just on firearm and ammo purchases, more so a tax on equipment to engage in outdoor activities. Is that a right? Imagine taxing a part of free speech. I don't think it removes hunters and fisherman as stakeholders. It won't help though.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Are you familiar with the history of P-R?Considering Pittman-Robertson was conceived, and advocated for, by sportsmen, the reps listed show an ignorance. At least a few of them also said sportsmen would be supportive, and the ignorant probably will be.

Aside from the huge benefits to conservation, P-R is the main thing keeping our voice relevant at the decision making table. Antis are quietly cheering this for that very reason.