House Push to Repeal Pittman-Robertson

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
More than likely yes in today's economy.
A couple years ago I'd doubt it., but I'm not from there . We had a good very real chance of ours getting funded in early 2020 , then covid hit . It wasn't going to be to the original transcript, but way more dollars to conservation than the present.

I was told that about 15 years ago when meeting with some folks from the MO agency to look at trying to implement something similar in TN, and the climate has not improved.

nobands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I was told that about 15 years ago when meeting with some folks from the MO agency to look at trying to implement something similar in TN, and the climate has not improved.
Had to look look it up , it was 2010 here when it passed by 65 percent .
I seriously doubt if we ever fund it .
The last attempt , in 2020 was far from the original purpose. It was rife with spending to agriculture interest that created most of our problems , but there was enough benefits to natural resources to support it .

GUNNERX2

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

I'm old and can't remember crap but years ago TN passed legislation for a small percentage on the dollar for real estate transfers to go for habitat acquisition. It was not earmarked for development but acquisition only, that's why you would see DU purchasing the land and developing it then TWRA would buy the completed project from DU. Just another way to move funds. I also remember (kind of) that the TN legislature made several runs to get those funds put into the general fund and I think they were eventually successful.

salthunter

Reaction score
Repeal P-R, quit wasting tax money on useless crap and fund conservation with the same amount of money out of the general fund.

85 years ago sportsman knew there had to be a specific tax.
Most people are unaware , but Trump gave back $900,000 of diverted funding.
We would quickly end up in the whole mess like SS.

Yes I would like money to go specifically to Fish and wildlife and not visitors centers, parking lots, etc

Minnesota has the same deal but it is a constant battle to keep legislators from hijacking it.
Everyone want to use other peoples money
I’ve been told the MO tax would fail if proposed there today.
Are there anystates that could pass good wildlife legislation? And when something good does come , the antis are all over it!!

mightywalleyehunter

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Minnesota has the same deal but it is a constant battle to keep legislators from hijacking it.
Yeah but I swear all of the funds towards conservation go toward state park facilities. I feel like Tettegouche has nicer stuff than yellowstone

hobbydog

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Everyone want to use other peoples money

Are there anystates that could pass good wildlife legislation? And when something good does come , the antis are all over it!!
In Minnesota it is not the antis that want to hijack the funds, it is the anti tax republicans. They want to put the money in the DNR general operating fund and then reduce the states contribution to that fund. This is despite the constitutional amendment that passed overwhelmingly that states the money must be used for land acquisition and restoration. And guess who stood in the way of getting the amendment on the ballot to start with. Hint: it wasn’t the antis.

AvianQuest

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yes most of the funds need to go wildlife, but sometimes it has to be spent on replacing visitor centers like what almost happened here...

Just look at how close a meteor came to wiping out this visitor center...

oyl011luk2m41.png

riverrat47

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I retired from the natural resource field a dozen years ago and I remember not long before I retired that Missouri biologists were really sweating that the legislators were going to grab their sales tax funding. There were beaucoup Missouri biologists putting out feelers to other agencies. It is my understanding that the fund was saved by only one or two votes and has been under siege ever since.

JoJer

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Didn't lawmakers get caught with their fingers in this cookie jar just a few years ago?
I never complain about raises in cost for tags, licenses, etc. Here, when the budget takes a hit, a large portion comes out of enforcement. When I get the survey, I always tell them to put more money into F&G cops. I don't mind getting checked and I love to see the cheaters pay the price. My hunting and fishing license is the best deal at any price.
And when I go to shows, I always look for the volunteer search and rescue guys and put a few bucks in the box. Now that I'm an old fat guy, they're the ones most likely to be draggin' my a** back in.

Last edited: