House Push to Repeal Pittman-Robertson

JoJer

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of Republican and other, fringier politicians in Idaho who are eyeballin' Fed lands in this state who want to sell it off.
The big shifts in population have brought a lot of well-heeled people into the state. They're drooling over the prospects.
If we stay in drought, we're going to have to go back into the lumber business: If we don't cut and clear, it's all going to burn anyway.

rism

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
mightywalleyehunte - Someone can correct me if I am wrong BUT-- Yellowstone is a NATIONAL PARK - controlled and funded by the Federal Govt. There should be no PR funds used for anything concerning a Nat. Park or any other public lands run by the Feds !!! Illinois receives 18 to 20 million every year from the PR act. Without these $$ a lot of sites would not be able to launch boats, pump water for waterfowl etc. etc. The PR funds must be used to enhance, restore, manage birds, mammals and their habitat. That is how the act reads. Every sportsman on this site should google it and read it before making comments about things they know nothing about. Blago tried to steal these funds a few years ago. He was told by the Feds if they were not given to the DNR and used as required Illinois would have to pay them back. One site manager tried to tell us he didn't have the funds to pump a couple of years ago. A call to a State Senator and their call to the DNR changed his mind in a matter of 5 days. Sportsmen and women were behind this tax and to my knowledge 90% probably still are. I am e-mailing the two reps from Illinois that are on the list and telling them my position and where they are wrong. !!

Jordan Vizinat

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I’d much rather my money go to P-R, than some 19th century Belgium lesbian studies or wherever else taxes go.

I won’t be writing writing any congressman though. They’re all crooks and scams, and if my “right” to hunt and fish went away tomorrow, I’d still hunt and fish.

Long Shot

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
In my state dog trials ( mainly retriever) that had been held on wildlife areas. Were not allowed on any portions of the wildlife area purchased with P-R funding.

msk

Refuge Member
Reaction score
still voting straight RED. Everything has turned to ****

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
In my state dog trials ( mainly retriever) that had been held on wildlife areas. Were not allowed on any portions of the wildlife area purchased with P-R funding.

Why? I’ve been to a whole lot of retriever tests and trials on public lands with a P-R component. Is it something unique to your state, or something most states aren’t aware of.

onastring

Refuge Member
Reaction score
It’s crazy to me actually straight up insane that any sportsman would want to get rid of PR.

It's crazy to me actually straight up insane that any gun owner would support a poll tax on their right to keep and bare arms.

It easy to sensitization this. Both statements above are over simplifications of a nuanced issue. This isnt about whether conservation is a worthy cause. This is about taxing a constitutionally protected right and the potential for that type of tax to be used to implement gun control. PR was created in a time when no one questioned the right to own a gun. Now the antis want to use PR style taxes to accomplish their gun control goals. Do you think trying to differentiate between "good" taxes on guns and ammo like PR and "bad" taxes like the 1000% tax idea on ARs is a good position to be in?

Unfortunately, PR finds itself in the middle of the gun rights/control fight. I don't want PR to be collateral damage and that is why I think the funding mechanism needs to change.