Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

How about shell snow decoys?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by waterswatter, Mar 11, 2019.

1. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

Wondering how shell decoys would work compared to the windsock or the full bodies? It seems that with a hole drilled in their back and a stake, they would move well in a breeze.

Thanks for any input

2. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Senior Refuge Member

Should work just fine, but for numbers, a heck of alot more storage and weight as far as snow spreads are concerened.

3. waterswatter

Thanks.

I got to thinking I would buy a dozen and try them and others out by setting them in the shop and turn on the backpack blower and see how they move.

4. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Senior Refuge Member

They will move for sure. Question is, how much movement do you want? If they do not move enough for your liking, you can drill out the hole just a hair more and they will move more easily.

5. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

My buddy has about 5 dz shells he mixes in with his FB. They move great, he worries when birds get too close they can tell the difference, but I'm not sure I buy that, just don't have the long stakes and they are closer to the ground and look fine IMHO.

6. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

If I was to ever use shells again, I wouldn't bother with the stakes. Setting 250-300 GHG 5/8 shells on the black "universal" stakes in the dark was a massive pain in the butt. The next spring we sold 100 shells, used that money to buy motion cones & real motion stakes for the remaining shells. At that point we had nearly the cost of a dozen lightly used FB into the price of those shells with cones. Sold most of them, kept 2 dozen to zip tie to layout blinds.

explorer17 likes this.
  7. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

I wouldn't use shells unless setting a permanent spread and they were an incredible deal to buy. And I for sure wouldn't mess with using stakes on them unless I was staking them to the ground and not moving them.

8. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

For the 5/8 with universal stake, I found 2-3 man teams work the best. One person having the stakes, one the shells, and one putting them together and in the ground.

9. waterswatter

Thanks! Makes sense.

10. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

Nope, been there, tried to move 240 of them, pain in the butt. Went with all socks.