How are bird numbers at Santee?

Take-a-Gander

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
How are numbers at Santee? There is a ton of area to hunt so not looking for your honey hole just general activity. PM if you want rather than posting
Thanks in advance.
TaG

SDDRAKE

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hunted for three weeks straight . Worst three weeks we ever had up there . Counted 42 boat trailers at Santee on Saturday and never heard over 10 shots all day . Not good.

Take-a-Gander

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Thanks SDDRAKE
That’s what I have been hearing. Hopefully it picks up soon.

Koots1

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
The amount of hunting pressure is far too great for it to ever hold birds like it used to. We go up there because we have been doing so for over 20 years, not so much for the killing. If you are there on flight days it can still be good, but you better be prepared to experience some of the negative that comes with public duck hunting. We hunted a day last year that there were over 50 trailers at Santee......we never saw 50 ducks that day.

Take-a-Gander

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
We didn’t go last year, 2 yrs ago was a bust too. I love the area but agree isn’t what it was 20 years ago. Probably won’t make the trip again this year, time to find a new December hunt area after we close down here in Mn

brentbullets

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quit hunting Santee 10 years ago for reasons mentioned. Know people who still do, they say it sucks.

Take-a-Gander

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
It is a shame, I love hunting that area but agree it is only a shadow of what it was 20 yrs ago.
I will need to find a new December journey when we shut down here in Mn

Take-a-Gander

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I am sure all the JHawks would disagree.