How did you learn to drive!

salthunter

Reaction score
I was 12,, My dads 67 Chevy pickup was parked a mile back along the shoreline. of Lake Whita.
I had to figure it out on my own . I was too short to reach the clutch,,, lucky first gear was low, and I was on 8 inches of new ice!!

Google photo
1653071364749.png

1653071364749.png

Tailfeathers

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
1972 High School driver’s ed. My dad gave me lessons on the family’s Dodge Dart with a straight 6 a number of times before the class started that summer. The Drivers Ed car was a big Dodge with a big V8. I got behind the wheel when it was my turn and pushed on the gas peddle and almost burnt some rubber. The instructor was a little anxious. I told him I was used to a V6. He smiled and I got better on the gas peddle. Everyone in the back seat thought it was funny. Then everyone in the school found out and it was the joke of the day.
Side note: Some kids had performance cars and would burn out in front of the school during home room. One guy had to out burn everyone else one day. He rigged his car with a window washer fluid tank and pump in his trunk and lead lines to spray his rear tires. I think he used bleach. Word got around that this burn out was going to be big . Everyone went to the windows. Kids across the halls came to the home rooms that faced the street in front of the HS. Not only did this GTO kid out burn everyone else, he literally covered the front of the school with a chemical cloud and a helpful breeze that we had to close all the windows til it passed. Glory days!

PaulinKansas

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
4 week summer drivers ed class. When I passed the class they gave me a paper to take to the drivers license place. A couple years later I got my motorcycle license. Had to take a written test and a driving test which lasted about 2 minutes.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Never did.

BJH

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
1st, International B at age 7. Next 1953 Chevy pickup at age 10 loading bales. Finally at 15, til l got my license, 1967 Chevy Nova. Dad let me drive to the blind before school from age 15, as long as l was back to catch the bus or a ride. That Nova went thru He!! Finally broke it in half! Bought & paid cash just before turning 18, brand new 1977 Chevy 1/2 ton. $3,800! Crashed that just before Christmas ‘77. New ‘78 GMC 4x4, bought off the showroom floor! $7,000!

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My grandfather had a car that really acted like it had a key and you wound it up so he let me drive that as my first driving lesson.
A Plymouth Valiant it was.
He taught me all sorts of smart things like how to approach a turn onto a curve so you can see both ways.
Little things make a difference and his lessons were infinitely better than the PE coaches because he had so much experience driving.
Nobody is perfect tho.
You have to buy your underwear at KMart.
Yeah.
;)

Zane

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I was 12 or 13. Dad had an old VW Jetta with manual transmission, Fast & The Furious had recently come out. We were at my uncles farm for some holiday. I learned to shift and I bombed around the farm like it was a race track.