How did you learn to drive!

Grif

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My family took a trip to Florida when I was 15. My dad put me behind the wheel of a '68 Pontiac Catalina after a day on the highway. After a couple hours he fell asleep. I let him, my brother and sister, and my mom sleep because I was having a blast driving. When the gas got low I woke the old man up.....he sat straight up and said, "then get off at the next exit with a gas station"....and when I did he guided me in. :tu

i drove everywhere we went for most of the week....when it was over, I was a driver.

Last edited:

Grif

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad's '61 Rambler wagon with three on the tree. 1970. Empty streets in a subdivision under construction, Southaven MS.

My first truck....'68 Chevy with a 350 4-barrel, dual exhaust, white spoke wheels, 3 on the tree, rust on the rocker panels.

I was 18, that truck was already 10 years old....life was pretty damn good for a kid with nothing :yes:tu

Shirleyshusband

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My family took a trip to Florida when I was 15. My dad put me behind the wheel of a '68 Pontiac Catalina after a day on the highway. After a couple hours he fell asleep. I let him, my brother and sister, and my mom sleep because I was having a blast driving. When the gas got low I woke the old man up.....he sat straight up and said, "then get off at the next exit with a gas station"....and when I did he guided me in. :tu

i drove everywhere we went for most of the week....when it was over, I was a driver.
68 Pontiac Catalina was my first car. Good memories!

Woodduck31

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Learned to drive on a model 70 John Deere tractor. First car was a 60 Ford country sedan

PorkChop

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My mother had a Dodge Omni
53187409-1C7C-42FF-9746-FB6B82AE1425.jpeg
yes we lived the highlife!! Parents were out at a wedding and for whatever reason I decided I would take it for a drive. I was 13. Pegged it out at 85 and returned safely to the driveway. They never knew. Then I would take my dad‘s truck and drive around the backyard. Unfortunately when I was coming through the gate I hit the fence with the back bed panel. There was no hiding that one and I paid the price ha ha.

Grif

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JoJer

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I didn't get a license 'til I was in the service. I went to get my military lic. and they told me I have to get a civilian license first. Another guy in the barracks let me drive his 67 Mustang and pickup his takeout for practice. I took the test in his car. We raced 3 chicks in another Mustang on the way. When I took the test drive for the AF, my ride was a 62 Dodge D100, a faded to pink, retired fire department vehicle. Slant six, three on the tree, non-syncro first gear. I had no idea what that was, but I figured it out by the time I ground up to the third stop sign. I think the guy testing me was amused.
Freshly printed license in hand, I started testing an assortment of cars and trucks that didn't belong to me. Imagine learning pursuit driving in a 65 Biscayne, 3 speed manual, manual siren, and the 2-way radio. Fun stuff. The guys that were training me liked to give violators a head start so we could go "code" longer.

waterswatter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Mom says I was 6 when I turned the key on dad's Ford flat 6 farm truck and pushed the start button. The truck was in gear, and it started going forward. She says she ran out of the house and turned it off and pulled me out of the truck. I just remember the knot in my stomach when it started and I had no idea what to do.

I was driving an old ford tractor and a massey 65 by about 4th grade. Go forward a few years and I was running a JD 520 with a hand clutch. I was driving licensed farm trucks short distances between properties during middle school.

My first, honest on-the-road experience was with a drivers permit and coming home from fishing with grandpa. He had a Ford half ton with an automatic and he encouraged me to pass cars on the way home, so I did. He promoted adventure whereas my parents promoted caution.

Latest posts