How did you learn to drive!

Out of focus

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My oldest memory of driving was standing on my old man’s lap and steering his 1970 ford pinto down a gravel road checking turtle lines on a Saturday morning. Good times.

Humpback A5

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I never had a vehicle prior to going in the Army at age 17 1/2 (mid 1967) so I didn't know how to drive.

After AIT I was sent to Panama in the 518th Combat Engineers and was taught how to drive by driving around inside the motor pool..... first a jeep, then a 3/4 ton and later on a 5 ton dump truck.

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I never had a vehicle prior to going in the Army at age 17 1/2 (mid 1967) so I didn't know how to drive.

After AIT I was sent to Panama in the 518th Combat Engineers and was taught how to drive by driving around inside the motor pool..... first a jeep, then a 3/4 ton and later on a 5 ton dump truck.
Did you get a medal?
:l
J/K
Driver-W-Mechanic-Badge-with-Tab_1000x.jpg

Panama?
Oh thank you for serving in that hell hole. Make it out malaria free?

fowlwhacker

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Mothers grandfather had me driving his old trucks at a very early age. I would say 5 to 7 standing in the front seat in front of him holding the wheel and continued through my youth.

drahthaarducker

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My aunt Charlotte let us drive on the backroads around Barefoot MS when my cousin and I were 8.
She sat there in the passenger side and taught us.

hunting1

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I still remember sitting on Dad's lap and 'driving' our 66 Chevy 1/2 ton somewhere out in Wyoming where he was working road construction. Then at 5 or 6 would drive that truck in the hayfield in granny low while he walked to each square bale of hay and loaded it until we had 50 bales on. Bout the same time started driving the tractors, IH Super A and a W-6. That 66 truck is in my shed out back, still has original starter and clutch and original spare tire.

DrakeStar

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Trial by fire method.
My pops took me out around age 14 to start teaching me.
Backing with mirrors ,parallel parking. Out on a desolate dirt county road he'd scratch lines in the dirt and have me back into them using the mirrors ,he was a good patient teacher, which took a lot of guess work out of it,got to where I got cocky with confidence at how well I had became .
Fast forward to high school driving class/coarse and it was all old hat by then. The coarse teacher had become known as a real azzhat and intimidate students ,frustrate them to tears on driving coarse My day comes and he though he'd put me to the ultimate test,take out his big old Delta 88 behemoth and go into busy downtown and drive around and test.
Driving around we come to the parallel parking portion of the block,he chuckles under his breath and says pull up and back into that spot up ahead.
Backed that boat in without a hitch,he was pissed. :l
Guess he figured it was "beginners " luck and had me circle the block and back it in another 6 times,each time without a hitch and each he got more heated. :dv
Needless to say I passed the coarse without a ding.
All that practice with my old man's teachings came in handy then and even today,just didn't know it at the time.
Miss you pops.

Idahotim

Refuge Member
Reaction score
47 Willie's jeep out in our field, had a 4 speed tranny learnd how to drive a stick.