How did you learn to drive!

gunnarmcc

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
1st, International B at age 7. Next 1953 Chevy pickup at age 10 loading bales. Finally at 15, til l got my license, 1967 Chevy Nova. Dad let me drive to the blind before school from age 15, as long as l was back to catch the bus or a ride. That Nova went thru He!! Finally broke it in half! Bought & paid cash just before turning 18, brand new 1977 Chevy 1/2 ton. $3,800! Crashed that just before Christmas ‘77. New ‘78 GMC 4x4, bought off the showroom floor! $7,000!

I helped a buddy rebuild a ‘67 nova wagon for his senior project in high school…. He unfortunately passed away not to many years after that. A 67 nova will always hold a special place in my heart cause of him.

Reactions: BJH

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Oh I totally forgot. The first driving I did was a tractor. We were picking pumpkins and I was too small to put one on the wagon so I drove the old ford. Priceless experience..

creedsduckman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Visiting my great grandparents in SC lowcountry when I was like 13. My great grandfather had an old 60 something Chevrolet pickup. Dad an I were driving down those old backroads coming from somewhere, fishing maybe. He pulled over got out and told me to slide over it was time to learn to drive. I remember thinking it was the coolest thing in the world.

Grif

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha!
My first was a blue 64 Catalina with a 389.
0-60= 2 miles. 60-100 plus= hang on.
Here comes the land cruiser!:cool:

Yessir, that '68 I learned to drive on had the same engine....and same 4bbl carb. I thought I remembered the engine was a 400....but I'm not much of a motor head. My dad was, and he had some great cars.

texduk3

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
in a 1967 4 dr. Chevy Malibu, straight 6, no power steering , no power (disc)brakes, no A/C.
my wife learned in a 65/66 'cuda, with push button tranny on the dash.

Iammichael6499

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
‘64 Pontiac Bonneville in 1969. Put two sawhorses in the street and taught myself how to parallel park. My Driver’s Ed car was a ‘69 Plymouth Fury III (Union High School, Tulsa, OK). First time I drove it I slammed the driver’s door on my thumb. That door must have weighed 200lbs. Lost that thumbnail. Got my first car in 1971 (‘65 Mustang w/ a straight 6). In 1974 I taught myself how to operate a motorcycle (Honda 450) and lived to tell about it. I also learned to be a pilot, but that’s another story.

cootmeurer

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My buddies and I all learned in farm trucks on country roads and field roads.

During drivers Ed in school we all got corrected for the same error. Every one of us driver with one hand on wheel and one arm resting on window so we could wave as we passed others. Also tended to get reprimanded for rolling stops at country 4 way stops before the corn was up. I think we all argued (and lost) the same point, that we could see for a literal mile in every direction so why stop

Tailfeathers

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I posted earlier that I learned in a driver ed car in the 70’s. With THAT said, I learned to drive a stick in my brother’s $75 Fiat 4 door that he and his buddy rebuilt the engine in the back yard one summer. He took it to school, it overheated, and he came home with a $250 Sunbeam Tiger. The Tiger was a sports car like a Spitfire or an MB and had a Ford 260 V8, ( same block as the 289.)It also had headers and a 4 barrel carb. Also had a 4 speed manual tranny. Light car, big engine.He added weight in the trunk. I got to “learn again” how to drive a stick on it. Lets just say, it was almost impossible to stall in first gear and burning rubber was a bit fun. I could never do that in my parents Fartmobile Dodge Dart. Gawd, I loved that car. I wound up buying a Sunbeam Alpine (same car but a 4 cylinder) whose engine weight balanced better with the car) and enjoyed that too. But oh, what a thrill pulling up to a GTO or other unsuspecting muscle car in the 70’s and giving them a run for their money in the Tiger.