How does Union County look for the opener?

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by zettler, Nov 24, 2020.

1. zettler

zettler Elite Refuge Member

Well, I have a permit for the opener and just wondered what others had seen or heard. You can PM me if you want.

Thank you in advance.

Bob

2. Skycarp33

Skycarp33 Elite Refuge Member

Good Luck sir and please give us guys who don’t have a permit until a few days later a report . I think That IL mud duck guy may have some tips for ya .

3. Gadwall King

Gadwall King Senior Refuge Member

Should be about normal. Ask them what is going to happen next season with no covid. Seems like to me they want to get rid of some of the blinds and not have a standby draw.

4. ringneck5499

ringneck5499 Senior Refuge Member

Drove down to Cape Girardeau Mon. and saw a decent amount of ducks for this time of the year on the places that had water.

5. rism

rism Elite Refuge Member

Bob - I hunt 5 miles north of there on Trece Acres later in the year. Usually end of Jan. Have a buddy that leases a pit. He is going down Sunday. He talked to the owner, Kent, 2 days ago. Said they have a lot of little ducks but not many mallards

6. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

Well Bob..how did it go today?

7. mikek55

mikek55 Senior Refuge Member

How was the sign in and parking lot stuff are you parking and walking to blinds ( haul stuff down road till close to blind an haul stuff to blind ? 65 yrs old and 2 heart attacks not sure I’ll be able to do all that anymore)

8. zettler

zettler Elite Refuge Member

It was well run and we were first out as I had handicap blind.

With it being a new process, most all the permit holders kept asking questions, getting out of their vehicles, etc., when they should have been prepared AND stayed in their vehicles like instructed.

Biggest issue was the damn trains I got there at 435am, after leaving home at 1am (25 hours ago....), but was delayed almost twice due to the number of trains.

Second issue for our blind was the parcity of water. Barely could float the decoys!

We saw ducks right off and probably should have shot at more but didn’t, yet we knocked 4 down, all before 8am, and then it really slowed down. Yes, we saw ducks and even worked a number, all mallards too. But it’s almost impossible to work them into landing on public AND with little water where we were. A number of blinds sounded like they did good but in my opinion, I just didn’t see the numbers of Woodies I had in past AND MOST HUNTERS LEFT EARLY.

I had heard they had issues with the blinds and I would suggest if anyone gets the handicapped blind to bring some extra camo to cover the shooting holes AND pray for more water

9. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

Sounds slow .

10. mikek55

mikek55 Senior Refuge Member

Ya what Howard said sounds slow for opening day ! I’ll call later and ask thanks Bob