How far can steel shot travel?

OHTodd

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
What is the maximum distance steel shot can travel when fired? I know there is alot of variables but I am looking for some solid information. There was an article in Wildfowl a few years ago showing some different ballistics. I have seen this info elsewhere over the years but can't find anything now. Are there any good websites with this info?

Thanks,

Todd

Ned S

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Lowery's Shotshell Ballistic program tells you this info as well as max skin piercing distances. You need to input temp, elev, size of shot and velocity as well as type of shot. Hevi shot distances will scare hell out of you. If you give me some specifics I'll look them up for you. Ned S :tu

OHTodd

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I shoot average steel loads. For ducks I shoot 3" #3 at 1500 FPS and Geese 3" BB's at 1500 FPS.

Thanks

Todd

Ned S

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Todd, excellent choice on size of shot. Steel 3's at 1500 fps will penetrate skin to 143 yds and travel 715 ft, steel BB's will penetrate skin to 182 yds and travel 880 ft. Have a great season! :tu Ned S

PaulinKansas

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
just out of curiosity, what would be the skin penetrating distance of the hevi-shot dead coyote load?

Ned S

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I do not know the size of the pellet, could you give that to me and I can give you the data. Ned S

PaulinKansas

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
from the website...

HEVI·SHOT® Dead Coyote! T’s wallup more energy than any other shell on the market. With a 1350 fps muzzle velocity translates into 11 foot-pound of energy at 100 yards. Plus the .20-inch round pellets pattern remarkably tight for a very memorable hunt.

Ned S

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
T will travel 1356 ft, pierce skin 306 yds, Serious injury at 108 yds, FF 1519 ft, 351 yds and 160 yds. Ned S

JTEE

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I know for a fact, that 10 gauge steel T shot winchestor, will run hunters to back of a duck blind shot from another blind at 243 yards away. Scared the hell out of them. After seeing Neds range post, I see why now. Hahhhaha. That was a few years ago. Those boys didnt shoot at me while picking up my dead ducks anymore, after that one. Steel will kill pretty far out. Problem is guys dont practice enough to learn how to shoot it. Most dont anyway.