California Flyway Forum Sponsors

How is it even legal?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Big Daddy Gaddy, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

How did the feds land on “ok to flood and hunt unharvested standing crops”?

Seems like the mallard problem would be much less of a problem if baiting laws didn’t have a gigantic yellow loophole.

Ratdaddy, ibfowl, JRS and 5 others like this.
  2. DkKiller&Max

DkKiller&Max Elite Refuge Member

Simple. Because corn 4' off the ground is so much different than corn disturbed laying on the ground... :readerThe letter of the law. We live in a world of loopholes. Understanding all of them is confusing hence those that practice law.

ibfowl and JRS like this.
  3. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Because you did not manipulate the corn stalk. Yeah the fed regulations were written by the fox.

ibfowl, JRS, tule and 1 other person like this.
  4. pumpgunner

pumpgunner Elite Refuge Member

Maybe they didn’t realize the amount of money people would have or would be willing to spend on killing birds.

Ratdaddy, Ducknest, ibfowl and 2 others like this.
  5. Speckslayer

Speckslayer Elite Refuge Member

The problem with changing the legality of that would be in the details. We all hunt over flooded seed crops (timothy, watergrass, smartweed, etc). Hunting flooded corn is the same thing, grow it - flood it - hunt it.

ibfowl, JRS, Refugeguy and 2 others like this.
  6. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

Sure, but look at spinning wing decoys. They are spelled out in detail as to not be confused with other battery operated garbage. Wouldn’t be hard to separate unharvested row crops from aquatic vegetation.

7. MeatLover

MeatLover New Member

I think they put this law to allow flooded land that happen by nature (like what happened in South dakota last year) can be hunted. During the flood, no machine can harvest the crop and not hunting it is another loss.

8. circlehooker

circlehooker Elite Refuge Member

In my mind it is not the same. Flooded seed crops are a natural wild seed either seeded or natural. Corn is only seeded by man. In years past corn was planted then harvested and cut, same as rice. Now stands are left tall with holes or lanes cut into them. Even though you are not supposed to manipulate the corn stalks you know it goes on. A duck can only jump so high to get to it.

ibfowl and Dan Mallia like this.
  9. Tommyo

Tommyo Elite Refuge Member

i think the corn you describe stands rather ridgid in a season like 2020 that does not have alot of weather. go figure.

10. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

whoa now......... If I "plant" corn and leave "holes" while I plant it or "lanes" I am not manipulating anything when I flood......

laughing mallard likes this.