How is it lookin in ND?

Discussion in 'North Dakota Flyway Forum' started by Rangerbob, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Here's a bit more detailed snowfall map not including what has fallen already.

Screenshot_20191010-184207.jpg

2. Thinblueline

Thinblueline Refuge Member

So is this it for duck and goose hunting in North Dakota for the season? Will all the local ducks have moved out and the migrants bypassed North Dakota? For any migrating ducks left to come through, will they shoot right past North Dakota because corn is unharvested and buried in snow? I realize hunting is about adjusting, but will there still be birds to make adjustments for? Reading some of the previous comments, it sounds like some think you can stick a fork in this season. It’s discouraging for those of us who are coming out later but I also feel bad for the farmers who’s livelihood is affected by this situation.

3. GOOSE ROLLER

GOOSE ROLLER Senior Refuge Member

So what is the likelihood that the snow and wind will knock down corn? Will farmers even be able to harvest before the ground freezes or is it too wet?

4. in2b8er

in2b8er Refuge Member

My buddy is snowed-in in devils lake currently. They got around 3-4" yesterday, he sent me video at 535 this am. White out conditions. The storm was just getting there. I'd say unless they get a warm up in the next few days that it's most likely a done deal. The 10 day shows little to no warm up (ie warmer than 45 degrees) Im heading up the 24th will have a better report then. I need to go regardless since I left my boat motor and decoys up there from the NR opener. Going to need to readjust our plan. may just pheasant hunt south dakota for 5 days.

5. Thinblueline

Thinblueline Refuge Member

I have a hard time believing it’s all over and there are no more ducks and geese to shoot in North Dakota.

6. Full Force Five

Full Force Five Elite Refuge Member

Insane. 1-3 feet of snow in central North Dakota. I'm still planning on going up the last week of October. Might have to pass shoot bills on big water or pheasant hunt, whatever. I can adjust . . . it's just hunting. My farmer friends out there are dealing with life or death.

7. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

OK so here's how this is going to play out barring another storm. The storm is going to rage now for the next 24 hours it's going to cause massive amounts of crop destruction I can tell you the sunflowers that were growing in my yard snapped in half within the first 3 in of snow! Corn, sunflowers and soy beans are going to be devastated.... But this is in no way shape or form even remotely the end of the season!!! We're looking at weather approaching the 50s by the end of the week and what will happen is the sun is still extremely strong and the snow is going to start melting and it's going to start melting fast. Now normally this would mean quite a bit of standing water laying around but the fact that we already have unbelievable amounts of standing water around means this is just going to take us into biblical proportions of standing water around. If we managed to get a few days of no rain or snow and some sun and maybe some wind the combines will start to roll again they will probably have to bob and weave through their fields around flooded spots but they will roll. The crops like sunflowers beans and corn are going to have severe damage to them but then in all likelihood will still be capable of being harvested it'll just be a royal pain in the *** and will likely leave large amounts of waste grain behind. Put this all together what it means is that when the migrants do start to show up they are going to find the duck equivalent to heaven Unfortunately they will also likely be able to spread way the hell out and be a royal pain in the *** to get to but they're going to love where they are and will be almost impossible to get to leave until we finally do freeze up for good. Now I'm fully expecting the mother of all October lulls because this will undoubtedly knock the vast majority of our local birds up and out of here and the migrants likely won't show up for another 2 to 3 more weeks. Now a North Dakota duck lull is still probably drastically better than a lot of other areas but by our standards it's likely going to be pretty ****y.

And for perspective theoretically I have a barbecue grill under here somewhere.:dv and also theoretically only 8 to 12 more inches to go.

20191011_082211.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019 at 9:33 AM
    brentbullets likes this.
  8. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Won't be the end as Dean says. This did not hit Sask or most of Manitoba. The after opening week lull would be here now anyway. When the migrants come down there won't much snow left. Temps in the 50's next weekend.

9. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

Ducks and geese do not migrate just N-S, they move around and migrations vary by specie, breed, and environmental conditions. That said, the future of the eastern side of ND maybe more impacted by the fact that much of southern Manitoba is getting hit just as hard all the way up to the interlakes region. Be interesting to see what happens to the Western MN goose count and the Missouri waterfowl counts over the next couple weeks.

SK largely untouched. The geese and their mallard friends will work there way down as they always do. Often tough to hunt geese when they roost where they are feeding.

10. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

upload_2019-10-11_8-45-51.png