How is it lookin in ND?

Discussion in 'North Dakota Flyway Forum' started by Rangerbob, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Not likely to move much this week. They tend to move a bit slow and often dont put allot of stock into events like what happened tonight even though a fairly large area got a fairly large amount of rain. But much of the rain was likely to run off due to the high rate it came down at therefore not helping the majority of the statistics they look at it for judging what is and is not a drought and its overall impacts.

All that said it's raining in Bismarck again right now and it rained like this last night and before that all we had received as far as precipitation goes since January 1st was just slightly over 2 inches vs over 10 inches at this point last year....so needless to say things are definitely moving in the right direction. And to be clear since this is a waterfowl site my main concern here is not for the ducks and the geese... they're fine last year's moisture was dramatically more than enough to guarantee current conditions for them! My concern has and is for the farmers and the pheasants and things are definitely shaping up better for both of those. So here is hoping round three plays out well tomorrow so we can be sure to avoid the ability of a drought to wipe out this year's pheasant crop... Although I'm hoping I can get out and try to figure out if the juneberries are good or not unfortunately I now have to deal with mud which will stop me from getting to where I need to go but I'm okay with that in the end! Let it rain let it rain let it rain!:tu:dv:tu:dv

FriedPotatoes likes this.
  2. PorkChop

PorkChop Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

3. Dean Nelson

Yeah we are on round 5 with allot of 2 to 4 inch totals in the area. At this point they will almost have to do some significant tweaking to the map on thrusday.

4. PorkChop

For the two days we received 3 3/4 inches of rain at my house. For the most part it came down slowly so not a lot of runoff. New puddles out in the fields but for the most part the potholes look unchanged. I know it takes runoff a couple days sometimes so hopefully they are still feeling a little bit. Either way we definitely needed what we got.

5. Dean Nelson

Yeah ours came in waves so no runoff just helped fill up the empty ground. Over all with as many different storms as there was it managed to get just about everyone in the drought area.

Screenshot_20200701-020534.jpg

6. Dean Nelson

As I kind of figured no real change this week. If the forecast holds next week's should be looking better.

7. PorkChop

Yeah I saw that yesterday. If anything the map looked slightly worse. Looks like some of those areas will get much more rain if they get under one of the thunderstorms.

I think it was three years ago maybe four years ago that the last two weeks of June and first week of July my area got 16 or so inches of rain. Water was everywhere, roads were washed out and by time hunting season came it was all gone. You would’ve never known we had so much moisture two months prior.

8. PorkChop

how did you guys fare last night? See some places had gusts up to 83 mph. We had one quick gust and received 1 3/8 inches of rain at my house.

not sure how fast our gust was but it blew our gazebo into the next yard. It was staked, tied and weighted down.

9. Dean Nelson

Luckily she lost her nuts just before she got to town! Cool thing was for a bit there she was putting out up to 36,000 lightning strikes per hour or put it the easier numbers that's 10 strikes per second in what was one a hell of a light show!

But she did bring more rain. This map is all the rain that fell after the last map. Needless to say a fair bit of this rain fell outside of where most ducks are but the pintails stand to gain heavily from this since they like nesting out west. either way I'm very curious to see what multiple big rounds of precipitation over a 7 day period will do two tomorrows evaluation of the US drought monitor. In Bismarck we most certainly didn't get near the rain that many areas right around us did but nevertheless we increased the amount of precipitation we've had for the year by a minimum of 150% in the last week and in all likelihood it's probably closer to 200%! yet at the end of that we are still below average for the year so there lies the question mark of how they'll rate us!

And I guess I should make this public announcement for all of the non North Dakota people reading this wondering what all this ******** talk actually means for the fall flight!. So best to just understand this fall flight was locked and loaded when the ice locked up all of our flood water last fall! It's not a question of if we will have a good fall Flite for ducks the only real question once again is how far south will they go . The debate UCI here more than anything even though it's not necessarily seven words by those of us from this form it's just a known thing is the semantics we as NoDakers are wondering about out loud here is things such as crop conditions and Upland bird hatch/ survival rates since they do not do well in drought or cold and rainy! Not to mention for a few of us guys on this board wondering if this will effect the odds of bringing down a deer over 160 or 180 depending on the species since they are highly dependent on drought versus not drought for antler grow on big bucks. The Ducks are locked and loaded they will be coming that was a done deal by around Thanksgiving of last year so don't worry about that........ needless to say we have a plethora of other things to worry about at this time far more critical then how big the fall flight will be but at least for once in 2020 I can guarantee you the news on the fall flight is very good....... but like any year lately I cannot guarantee they will actually make it to you but heres wishing you all the best!

Screenshot_20200708-013344.jpg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020 at 1:17 AM
    FriedPotatoes and woodiefanatic like this.
  10. PorkChop