How is it lookin in ND?

Discussion in 'North Dakota Flyway Forum' started by Rangerbob, Nov 28, 2016.

1. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Keep the reports coming, still have 5 weeks before our season starts here. Living vicariously through you all.

PorkChop likes this.
  2. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

I understand completely and fully what you're saying just understand what you're saying is not exactly what has been what we are talking about here! A place like where we are ice-eaters only buy you a few dozen hours not weeks. In the end it would not make a dam bit of difference how good of an ice eater you have if 99.999% of the migration is south of you. I'm not sure if you fully understand how it works up here since you're from the Missouri Illinois region but freeze up up here is an actual real and in the end quite permanent thing that no ice eater is ever going to handle and seriously this is a place where we can literally drive loaded semis on by mid January if not by as early as late November! Your from an area that never has enough cold to actually freeze up anything in a meaningful way compared to what we're talking about up here! Just understand this one single point even with the improving forecast we are still looking at putting enough ice on some of these bodies of water that you could legitimately drive a full-size half-ton pickup across them a week from now, and unfortunately probably not have all that big of a concern doing so. You need to understand what we're dealing with here right now. once again even with the improving temperature forecast now we are still very much "dancing with the devil in the pale moonlight" translation it's not a question if we're going to freeze up a lot of the water the only question is will any actual bodies of water of size survive this long enough to still be open a week from now!!! I spent enough time down on Carlyle Lake and various areas down there to know that most of the people down there don't really understand what a true freeze-up actually looks like vs just some random temporary ice over the last 3 to 7 days maybe two weeks at most. When we lock up up here it tends to be permanent at least as far as anything annually based can be permanent and will last until somewhere at best March probably April no mater how you try to keep it open! Now with the snow tracking more into South Dakota that is opening up the window for some very substantial areas to hold substantial amounts of birds for a substantial amount of time! That said im not going to tell you where that is! Without a doubt any logical person can figure it out quite quickly but I will leave that up them instead of giving anyone a free pass!!!

All of that pessimistic b******* aside I will simply point out one thing and mind you it's very very very freaking very small at this point but here's hoping it's a trend, because I'm starting to see the long-term forecast temperature numbers creeping a little bit higher as the snow slips further south! Way to little to grab onto yet but by god it's a start. If we can get a 25% improvement over what I've seen tonight that would be enough to dramatically change the mathematics of this migration/full lock-up ......well at least for a little bit of time but heres hopping!:clap:tu:clap:tu

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  3. Hodagger

Hodagger Senior Refuge Member

Was hoping someone could give a report on field travel conditions. Is it ok getting around with a truck, or is ATV the preference like last year early-mid October? Was the snow that did fall make any soup factor? Any info appreciated.....

4. Michael Keating

Michael Keating Refuge Member

You gotta be from Rhinelander just saying

5. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Elite Refuge Member

Last Year. Corn field/bean field transition. Read heads and a ringer. It was nuts
    0AD34EF0-3122-4BD1-8C71-92C72E872C24.jpeg

Reelcranky and buck_master_2001 like this.
  6. duckmann

duckmann Elite Refuge Member

Always impressive when a guy say I've never been to the place but I know more about conditions than those who have lived there for years. I know which speaker I'm most likely to listen to.

7. QakQak73

QakQak73 Senior Refuge Member

Well it’s always more impressive to hear of these guys from Illinois!!!

If you READ my post, I never said I know more... I simply made a statement of fact..... nobody has mentioned a word of an ice eater. I in fact mentioned I’ve never been to the region, and I understand a freeze up is a complete freeze up...... was a statement, not “I know something u dont”.

My gosh, typical Illinois for ya

8. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Absolute barrel burner this morning in the snow. 30 minute 2 man. Tough shooting in this wind. We couldn’t hardly load fast enough. B3E32887-3DF2-4AB7-99E0-6F8E7638C5FF.jpeg C3EBDF05-A788-415F-A180-B9F562979498.jpeg

Reelcranky and nebgoosehunter like this.
  9. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Still a ton of birds around. It seemed like every open smaller pothole looked like this. Birds were everywhere. 43BBD32D-4F8B-4E98-99B8-08A0B10C5034.jpeg

Reelcranky likes this.
  10. Ratboy

Ratboy Senior Refuge Member

A buddy of mine is in SD right now and the birds showed up thick last night. They scouted yesterday and saw a few birds, but this morning setting up was incredible he said. They have about 6" of snow where he is at. They shot a 5 man limit of mallards, pintails and GWT in the corn.