How is it lookin in ND?

Discussion in 'North Dakota Flyway Forum' started by Rangerbob, Nov 28, 2016.

1. JustDuckin03

JustDuckin03 New Member

Man what a roller coaster! We are scheduled to leave for ND on Halloween. Two weeks ago we thought we were getting froze out and tried to get together at the last minute and leave early. Didn’t happen and for a while it looked like we were going to be OK. Now with the temps it looks like we’re going to be dealing with stale birds and lots of water. Now the weather is setting up for the last big push of mallards from Canada starting on the 8th so we’re looking at leaving on the 4th now... what would you all do? Hunt the 1st through the 8th or the 4th through the 11th?

2. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

No idea what is going in ND, but here in Manitoba a lot of our birds have moved out. There is still some kicking around, but most of our lakes have frozen and only the really really big lakes are still open. Don't expect a huge push from Manitoba.

3. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Don’t waste energy shooting for perfection, go with the intent of having a good time. Hunt, have fun, win without regard to the conditions. Period.

4. ILDucks

ILDucks New Member

Just want to say thank you to all ND residents on here. Tomorrow is our last day here in ND, this was my 1st time coming here with a buddy. I absolutely fell in love!! The residents are all top notch people, (some of the non-residents that we ran into weren’t the nicest or most respectful but oh well), the landscape is gorgeous, and the hunting has been unbelievable!

Just a little personal story of how awesome the residents are.
    We found a big feed yesterday morning and got permission, while sitting and watching the field we meet a resident that was accompanied by a personal friend from out of state. The friend is an older gentlemen in his late 60’s. We told him to tag along with us today since it was just 2 of us going. He obliged and we sat there talking for awhile, well the resident ended up offering us to stay at his hunting shack right down the road after learning that we were going to drive 30 min away to stay in a motel. This resident had only known us for 15 min and was kind enough to offer us out of staters a place to stay! We didn’t expect anything for offering his friend a spot to come hunt with us, but he was still generous enough to let us stay. This is just a small example of how great the residents of this beautiful stay are! I really hope this resident takes me up on my offer to come deer hunt at my place in IL someday just so I can show him my appreciation!
    I cannot wait to come back in the future and experience this wonderful state!

Bclick, Ratboy, JustDuckin03 and 7 others like this.
  5. fowlogic

fowlogic Senior Refuge Member

Kudos to you ILDucks. I spent the first 41 years of my life in the Red River Valley. Lived on both sides of the border over those years. I've been in Idaho since '92. Idahoans tend to think they're the last of the best of us in the U.S. They don't know about North Dakotans. Have never been to Canada, though I lived close by. I suspect that Canadians have us all beat!! I'm talking the prairie folks especially.

6. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member

Seeing any new birds out of Saskatchewan or any where? Is your season pretty much over with migrating birds? Haven’t been able to hunt this year due to parents being in a terrible automobile accident just hoping more birds to come my way.

7. thunderfromdownunder

thunderfromdownunder Senior Refuge Member

Must not be good, rect*m99 hasn’t been spouting off. 200 miles into Montana sucks we lost more birds than gained

8. PorkChop

PorkChop Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

First I will keep your parents in my prayers. Second saw some geese coming out of Canada today. A buddy said he had snows flying over after sunset tonight.

KEN and brentbullets like this.
  9. qckaddct

qckaddct Elite Refuge Member

Just got home from ND last night. a great time, as usual even though conditions were tougher, than years past. We hunt Kidder and Stustman Co. Where everyone was concerned with the freeze up, last Friday Dean was right. The smaller bodies of water froze up, but the bigger bodies of water remained open. The 20 degree swing on tuesday night had medium size waters open up.

Observations from last Sunday night to yesterday:
    1.) Holy friggin' Bluebills!!! In year's past, we had to look everyone to find a flock. This year, it seemed they were EVERYWHERE. It's a shame there's a daily limit of one bird.
    2.)Dark geese were spread out and were really random with where the roosted or hung out. This was the first year we didn't harvest any. A couple groups we chatted with described the birds as "really weird, this year."
    3.) Hunting pressure was not what I feared it could what with Canada closing it's borders, BUT we did witness a few more field hunters who we didn't see or hear them doing much shooting.
    4.) First time ever getting permission on every field we asked. Every farmer was willing to chat and was pleasant. A far cry from the typical mid request, head shaking "No" or the "My brother's buddy has guys hunting those snow geese next week."
    5.) local businesses didn't seem to concerned about COVID.
    6.) Mallards were especially tough, this year.
    7.) We took far fewer drakes, regardless of species this year.
    8.) Saw fewer Cans and Redheads.
    9.) Saw more Pintails than ever! A plumed drake was on my bucket list this year but those spent a lot of time sitting 30 yards out of range.
    10.) Pheasant numbers appeared to be up, in our area.

Unless there's a big swing in the weather, there's still plenty of birds around, at least when we left.

10. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Still have some birds in Manitoba, with temps going way above freezing they won't being going anywhere soon. Had a good hunt Saturday night on Canadas and Mallards in high winds and snow squalls. Not a ton of birds left however, you have to put on the KMs to find them

PorkChop likes this.