How is it lookin in ND?

Discussion in 'North Dakota Flyway Forum' started by Rangerbob, Nov 28, 2016.

1. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

An area will need 3" (probably more) of torrential rain to recharge potholes. The half inch to inch of moisture will certainly help subsoil moisture a bit and be beneficial to farmers.

This might be one of those years that we wait and hope for those June-July crazy storms to recharge the sloughs and let the hens run their late nests.

2. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

I don't want to sound like a debbie downer but we too were in "D3" extreme drought where I live in Nebraska in February. We had a storm in March that brought 3 1/2 to almost 5 inches of moisture and it seems like it barely did a thing. We are now at "D1" moderate drought, but the top soil is as dry as it was this winter as it seems like the wind blows 50 mph every other day. I couldn't believe how much all that moisture just soaked right in. There is some black dirt a ways down if you dig. There were some wetlands that had good water afterwards a county over, but the wetlands around here didn't even hold water for a day. What I'm trying to say is, an 1" of moisture for you guys out of this storm is wonderful, but it isn't going to do squat for the drought.

3. Full Force Five

Full Force Five Elite Refuge Member

This can't hurt if anything else. Follow this up with more rain in April and May. Who knows. . . . it's the weather.

4. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

No doubt it can't hurt. It's been a month since our big moisture and it's to the point I'd take a 10th right now haha. If anything, just to settle the dust for a day.

5. PorkChop

PorkChop Elite Refuge Member

6. PorkChop

Hopefully we get this and more

D0FFA1C9-4145-4BFF-AC68-743FF63F8AED.jpeg

7. PorkChop

8. Truman

Truman Senior Refuge Member

This sucks...watered trees and grass over the weekend. Golf course looks like it typically does in August. No bueno.