How Is the “Hunt” For Shells Going?

Green Duck Truck

Washington State Moderator
Reaction score
I’m curious how people are doing on finding shells this off-season. I stocked up pretty good a year ago, so I haven’t had to buy much in preparation for this next year. Is it getting any easier, or is it about the same? I’m still having trouble finding .410 shells, although I have picked up a few boxes here and there. Anyway, just wondering.

GoPackers

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Local stores in the Wenatchee area are replenished, just very expensive. Stan's Merry Mart, Hooked on Toys, even Sportsman's Warehouse shelves are stocked up.

I laid up a bunch as well 2 years ago, and am still working thru that inventory.

I have been patterning some of the BOSS 12ga 3" ammo in 1 5/8oz #3's & #5's thru a full choke, it's incredible stuff....can't wait for early goose to field test it on the river!

EWUEagles

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I can find shells if I feel like paying 2-3 times the price they were two years ago. I don’t so the cases I have will have to get me through the next couple years.

duckrogers

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have been patterning some of the BOSS 12ga 3" ammo in 1 5/8oz #3's & #5's thru a full choke, it's incredible stuff....can't wait for early goose to field test it on the river!
I have a box of those in #5 waiting to be pattern tested when I can find a 4x8 sheet of OSB that costs less than the shells... Care to share any details of you pattern results: pattern percentage, shot to shot consistency of the percentage, are you seeing fractured pellets hitting the paper?

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I've found a ton of 12ga shells in the $14-$17 range that I have turned friends onto. Thankfully they're Xperts and none of the ammo snobs will buy them and the guys I hunt with love them.

Not doing so well finding non tox for the .410. I don't target shoot anymore because of my eye problems so the stash I have should last 2 to 4 more years. That said, if I find any there won't be any left on the shelf 2 minutes later.

GDT, anything specific you are looking for in .410?

oleww

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I got some 2 3/4” BB steel that I’ll put into the rotation.

Got them when the “best” gun I had was an remmy 1100.

I don’t think I’ve ever killed anything with them. Might use them for seater loads

Green Duck Truck

Washington State Moderator
Reaction score
GDT, anything specific you are looking for in .410?
Looking for steel and bismuth. The handful of boxes I have found are all 2 1/2 inch lead, with the exception of one box of 3 inch lead.

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Looking for steel and bismuth. The handful of boxes I have found are all 2 1/2 inch lead, with the exception of one box of 3 inch lead.
I'll keep looking and if a I find a good score I will have them when I make my trip east for dove season. I'm lowest on steel, maybe 12 boxes. I am looking at loaders, I just need to find 3".

HaydenHunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I've found a ton of 12ga shells in the $14-$17 range that I have turned friends onto. Thankfully they're Xperts and none of the ammo snobs will buy them and the guys I hunt with love them.
Where are you finding Xperts at those prices? I am seeing them at $19-21 a box.

I get emails from Rogers and Mack's that indicate they again have shells coming into inventory. My bud and I shoot Rio shells (don't laugh...they kill stuff and they don't muck up your gun). Last time we bought 12 ga 3" shells they were $89/case for 2+ cases. Same shells are now $189-209 depending on shot.