North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

How is your season wrapping up?

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by pluffmud, Jan 17, 2019.

1. cprodave

cprodave Senior Refuge Member

I am seeing enough birds past 3 weeks to keep it interesting...mostly bluebills and Ringneck. Some other guys shot-out the wood duckdhole i was carefully rationing Drake's out of. Mosquitos haven't died yet, some guys near me saw an alligator on Saturday and I hear a dog got bit by cottonmouth. Much different weather than January 2018... Now that I have finally located good numbers of birds to finish out the season my wife has decided we need to go on a no hunting road trip last 3 days of the season. Geez....

2. Mack270

Mack270 Refuge Member

Big water hunts have been a bit of a bust for us. Did get a blue wing before Christmas which is notable. The divers we usually chase this time of year don't appear to have made it down.
    Where I've been surprised have been the swamps. We've shot a fair amount of mallards that decoyed pretty well. Killed a few ringnecks also. My hunting buddy and I both agreed to let the wood ducks pass and try to shoot things that we don't normally see. Wood duck numbers seem to be a bit down since last year.

Headed to Currituck for two days this week and then finishing it out in the swamps.

3. CountryRN

CountryRN Senior Refuge Member

I had a buddy with a dog at the vet last week from a water moccasin bite at an impoundment near Phelps Lake. Makes me nervous to take my pup out. Definitely makes for a heck of a season finale.

4. PrairieDream'n

PrairieDream'n Senior Refuge Member

We run dogs all summer in some places where you see 6-8 cottonmouths in a day. I wouldn't let it bother me too much.

CountryRN likes this.
  5. KAHunter

KAHunter Elite Refuge Member

This year looks like it will end just like has been all year. Lots of wood ducks, a few (very few) other ducks, open water/marsh blinds have been very hit or miss. Alot of spots have only produced a handful of ducks where we would be shooting a few limits out of each year. Year of the Bufflehead sums this year up perfectly. Not only bc we have shot alot of bufflehead, but it has been a relief to shoot bufflehead at times. And there is nothing really wrong with shooting bufflehead, but im not in this to shoot bufflehead.

6. Billistic

Billistic Refuge Member

Best day this year before yesterday was 2 black ducks and a mallard. Mostly wood ducks. Shot a nice drake pintail on 1/12 in the Piedmont. Yesterday was on at the coast. 6 gadwall, 4 drake pintails, 1 black duck, 1 GWT, 1 shoveler, and 1 blue bill between the 3 of us. We saw probably 5000 blue bills and several hundred puddle ducks. When bad weather comes, it is time to hunt! Don't give up, because there has been a major push of birds the last couple of days.
    Hopefully, this last week will be better for all. Good luck and be safe.

7. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator

Ken, sorry to hear about your season, but I was in the same boat in that due to some surgery I haven't even been allowed to touch a shotgun or rifle and won't until later this Spring.

Fwiw, I've normally got at least a couple of Wood Duck nests in our boxes each year for the past 23 years, with a repeat or two, usually. This year we didn't have a single duck nest in five boxes back along the creek.

I wonder if there's anything to the theory that the shifting magnetic North pole (moving towards Siberia each year) might have something to do with it, along with the screwy weather patterns...?

8. KAHunter

KAHunter Elite Refuge Member

Thats weird about the wood ducks as this has been the best year for them I have seen or heard about. Everyone down east talked about how many wood ducks are around all summer and into the season and how many they had been seeing. It was probably due to all the water we had this and the last few years and them having a really good hatch.
    The high water and storms and constant rains really effected the food quality in the sounds and potholes and waters of eastern NC and VA. Areas that have been chock full of grass the last few years have none. I really think this has had an effect on the hunting this year.

9. PrairieDream'n

PrairieDream'n Senior Refuge Member

The constant rain and available water everywhere in NE NC doesn't help. There isn't much need for birds to concentrate on beaver ponds and seasonal wetlands when every mile of the Roanoke river bottomland is available habitat

Randy likes this.
  10. EastBound&Down

EastBound&Down Senior Refuge Member

Talking wood ducks......I have a well established nesting pond in my backyard at the house. No hunting and 95% of the time ducks are there only during nesting periods. A week ago a handful of woods showed up and started started staging up on the nest boxes. Yesterday morning there were at least 15 ducks on the pond already checking out the nesting boxes. Looks like they are gonna nest early with these warm temps and I have seen before where a down the road hard freeze will put a hurting on the first cycle of nesting.