How Long Did Take You To Get Into Single Reeds?

JRS

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll,

I'm just wondering how long it took for you hardcore callers to get into single reeds? Last season was my first season calling, I started with a Duck Commander Camo Max double reed and by the end of the season I had bought a Dux Waterfowl Original double reed call. Throughout the year I got pretty decent at using them considering how long I've been calling (and EXTREMELY good at annoying the wife lol). I'm a self-admitted gear junkie with anything I'm into, so after the season I started looking into new calls just to collect some more and have something to practice on in the summer. I ended up buying an RNT Mezzo single reed acrylic on sale. Seems to be a pretty good call, definitely has more of a range than my others and a little raspier. I'm not sure if I have it down good enough to hunt yet, so I might end up just using the double reeds this next season in the marsh.

I know you can kill ducks with pretty much any call if you know how to run it. How long did it take from when you first started learning to call to when you felt comfortable calling at ducks with a single reed? Also, do any of you guys use both kinds in certain situations?
About 4 years. One day, the light came on and I never looked back.

It’s all about repetition and familiarity. It’s a musical instrument.

Small Bore Hunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
60 years hunting and only own a couple of double reeds (yenzens). Always a single reed. Started with Tom Dennison’s stratavarious until my kids gave me a RNT. Back up is a old Olt. I have tried a few others.

Small Bore Hunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Using a Josh Razzio now that my son gave me. It's a wooden call. He thinks more of me than I thought he did.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Using a Josh Razzio now that my son gave me. It's a wooden call. He thinks more of me than I thought he did.
Dang, more than a lot of folks house payment…at least until recently. Josh is a nice dude.

Small Bore Hunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
We enjoy hunting together. He does not seem interested in calling. He also bought us matching LA cane calls by Dale Bordelon. We also has his Teal calls but they are not cane just looks like cane.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
We enjoy hunting together. He does not seem interested in calling. He also bought us matching LA cane calls by Dale Bordelon. We also has his Teal calls but they are not cane just looks like cane.
Dale is another good one.

GulfCoast

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
Josh Raggio makes a great call. He is a good guy. So is Mr. Dale. People tickle me when they gripe about what Josh charges for a call, or the current prices fetched by uncut Olt D2 keyholes. Everyone is a pro-Trump capitalist, until they actually meet capitalism. :)

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Josh Raggio makes a great call. He is a good guy. So is Mr. Dale. People tickle me when they gripe about what Josh charges for a call, or the current prices fetched by uncut Olt D2 keyholes. Everyone is a pro-Trump capitalist, until they actually meet capitalism. :)
To be clear, I wasn’t complaining. Josh should charge what his calls are worth to his customers.

15thTN

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
You want to blow something to bring the birds in ? Then buy a DR 85 and blow it from the gut !
If you want to make it to the stage , continue what you're doing !
Beware of oversimplification! There's situations where that dr85 is a liability. Come to Reelfoot, or the like, and that dr 85 will allow you to watch others kill ducks. I can recall one day, where we killed 35 with my RNT Original, and the double reed 250yds away watched the show. They only fired a gun after we left!