How long is duck breast left on ice after kill?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Texas60, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Texas60

Texas60 New Member

How long is duck breast left on ice after kill? Was told it wasn’t a bad idea to leave on ice for a little while to get rid of blood and wild taste a bit. Does anyone do this?

And what kind of cooking do you guys recommend with duck? Grille like steaks?

2. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

I soak mine in salty water until the water doesn't turn red anymore. Change the water every 8 hours.

A few days ago I posted a question on smoking ducks on this forum. The recipe I followed was delicious.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  3. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Senior Refuge Member

I've got a "duck fridge" in the garage. (I'm told that most people use it for beer?) I hang all my ducks 21 days before I even touch 'em. It really makes a difference.

4. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

I put em in water in the fridge for 2-3 days and change the water daily. Some put salt or other things in the water or hang em as mentioned above. I don't 'ice' them as this works well and I've never needed to. With deer I'll put the backstraps in icy water in a cooler and do the same process with changing the water for a few days. It gets clear after couple days and seems to work well. For a bunch of breasts or if one was out on a trip away from a fridge the same would work for ducks. Same thing just different mechanism.

I have an old Pepsi cooler I got out of a place that wasn't using it anymore and have considered hanging meat in there but have never done it. Friends of mine have done that with hogs and various other meats including for brining etc. Hanging has potential if one has the setup.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  5. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Really, 21 days? I thought I was pushing it leaving them a week. You hang them in the fridge? I just lay them in there breast up.

6. Swampfoot

Swampfoot Senior Refuge Member

So I guess you guys believe in aging them? Never tried it but have heard good things. More tender? Better taste. Typically I clean within 4 hours of killing.

Drake91 and WaterFoulHunter like this.
  7. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

Not trying to sound like a dip**** here but I'm guessing u gut em then hang em??... I just never heard of this I've hung deer out gutted when it's cold outside or in my buddies deep freeze... just wondering?

8. WaterFoulHunter

I customized the shelves to allow me to hang them. It sounds like a long time, but if it's cool enough it works really well. Try just one next time. Then you decide. Good luck. I age 'em all now.

creedsduckman likes this.
  9. WaterFoulHunter

Actually, i DON'T gut them.

Dale, bill cooksey and Drake91 like this.
  10. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

Ok I'm gonna try that next time I have a fridge in the basement I'll use it for that... I'm gonna try it

WaterFoulHunter likes this.