Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

How many do you need to kill?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Timber Hole, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

How many do I want to kill? All of them. I'm not there for the sunrise. :l What makes me happy? Lots of things in the equation: killing birds is just one of them.

2. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

If I kill a couple of birds a trip I'm happy.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  3. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

75 is a pretty decent season for me.
    Do it mainly to watch the dogs do what they do,enjoy a beautiful sunrise once in awhile, just take in nature.
    Never been a greedy hunter,far to many of them out there already.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  4. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

We kill a bunch some years and other years not so many.

My anticipation is the same every season. I'm gonna hunt 20+/- days per season. Good or bad.

Having said that, I do drive 5 + hrs to put myself in a position to see birds every time I go.

5. pgquackstacker

pgquackstacker Senior Refuge Member

60 +/- days in the field is my benchmark. Numbers will come if I get out enough. Earlier in my 20s all I was concerned about was # of birds killed, I enjoy my time in the field more these days when I don’t base my success purely off my numbers. I just want birds working close and to watch my dog work

6. Mallardchasin'fool

Mallardchasin'fool Elite Refuge Member

I agree with this whole heartedly. Lately though I have just had way too many of those days where there are no birds to be called at what less shot at. This last season was the worst one I can remember. I had 16 days of either zero or 1 bird in the bag (mostly zeros) and only 2 days with double digit bird counts. Contrast that with the best season I have ever had as far as numbers go... 2017/18 I only blanked twice with another 6 days of 1 bird, but I had 9 days of double digit birds. I guess I should blame it on global warming...where everything comes in extremes or maybe flooded corn to the north. One thing is for certain...I will be out there 50+ days this year trying to outsmart a bird with a pea-sized brain and loving every minute of it.

7. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

I get out about 30 days a season (including early teal/early goose) and usually hunt solo or with one other person. I'm mostly hunting a small marsh and/ or river 10 minutes from the house and I'm happy with 2-3 birds a hunt. So if I can hit 90 birds- I'm thrilled

8. Gene

Gene Refuge Member

I like to bring home 3 or 4 but to sit in a blind all day and not even see birds flying in the closed zone is a bit depressing.

9. swampthing

swampthing New Member

I agree it's not about the number of ducks I shoot. It's about spending time in the field with friends and our dogs. Last year was the last year my friend I will hunt together here in So Cal. He moved out of state and we didn't even hunt that much. Really sucked because he and I hunted ducks for over twenty years. He taught me how to hunt ducks.

For this season it will be about hunting with my dog. He's gonna be 10 next year. As he gets older I want to spend more time with him hunting. It's not about the birds he gets or I shoot it's spending more time with him. I already have hundreds of photos of him hunting with me already I want more.

snipe n likes this.
  10. swampthing

swampthing New Member

That part sucks. I agree with that. Not seeing any birds or only a few in the morning is a turn off.