How many guys use 20ga for ducks

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by skimerhorn, Jul 24, 2019.

1. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

Browning 525 sporting 20ga O/U IC/ Mod tubes in the timber a 3" or 2/34 #5 is a death ray

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Interesting. I've Federal 4s and Remington 2s for my 16 but haven't patterned either. Strictly anecdotally, though, I've been fine with the 4s on both ducks and geese (at the ranges I like to shoot them), aside from the Federal's typically poor burning powder, but questioned the 2s performance on geese after two fly-off cripples I thought plenty close enough the first time I used them. Really should pattern both through the old gun to see what's happening even if it means losing confidence in one, the other or both and giving away what's left of them.

3. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

I never could get 2's in any brand to render acceptable patterns and the 4's (Remington Nitro's vs. Federal) was eye opening. For geese was using the (original) HS in #4's with solid results to 45 yards. The HW15's (6's) have been impressive on the pattern board and expectations are high for them in the field.

4. Small Bore Hunter

Small Bore Hunter New Member

If you really want a sweet gun try a 28 gauge. Kent bismuth #5 almost all around. I ordered some from Cabelas this week in 7/8 oz #6 for wood duck and teal in September.Hevi shot now has a bismuth 1 oz load in 4 & 6's I will try this year. They are not in stock now. Pattern density and down range energy is closer to #2 steel. If you are thin skinned you might not need to try a 28. I shoot a Beretta A400 for ducks and a Beretta 486 for upland. I don't want the 486 kicked around in pit or boat. Most of my buddy's want a 12 or 10 gauge.

Allan likes this.
  5. Whistle

Whistle Senior Refuge Member

A couple of guys that used to be on this board but now call another site home were on a quest to kill every legal waterfowl species with .410's. They made a pretty good dent...

6. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

I love my 20 for ducks, shoot it about 1/3 of the time, and use it exclusively for upland (dove, quail, pheasant). I got the Beretta A400 20 lite.

For ducks, I use mostly #3 and #4 shot. I like the HM #4 load the best. The 20 is nimble and light, very fun on flocks of teal but it actually does just fine on geese if a flock comes in.

widgeon likes this.
  7. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

[​IMG]

widgeon and creedsduckman like this.
  8. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

Shot nothing but a 20 for 40 or more years. Switched to a 12 when lead was outlawed. Never going back. Modern 12s are light and if I'm nervous about the recoil I go to 2-3/4" light loads for awhile.

widgeon likes this.
  9. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Considering how long ago even the last states made the switch, congrats for still being able to shoot anything.

widgeon and Fowler267 like this.
  10. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I killed mine this year with my 20. One shot about 35yrds with federal red box 2's.

I've got a couple but the only one I hunt with is an original Beretta 391 with a 28" barrel and a briley modified choke. I love that gun, have complete confidence in it and probably shoot it better than any gun I own. A couple years ago I patterned it with 3 loads and 3 chokes. I believe it was a kicks high flyer full, wad wizard and the briley mod. I patterned all 3 with Remington nitro 4's, Rio 3's and Federal red box 2's. Nothing scientific just shot a 30" circle at 30 yards. The briley seemed to look the best to me with all 3 loads so I put it in the gun, never take it out and sold the rest.

widgeon likes this.